QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Manga series are you reading right now
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What Manga series are you reading right now » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

NC - I have no idea! I suppose the only people who would are girls who've been to all-girl schools as well, but I can imagine that a lot of this is exploded out of all proportion because its a manga and aimed at a certain demographic. There's straight fan-girl stuff in some other manga, such as Kare Kano where Soichiro has a huge girl fan club as well. I presume most of it is made up and just a stylised thing to emphasize what the character is like.

I was totally surprised at Manga Fox putting an 'adult themes' label on it because there are no adult themes in the anime certainly; it is more a coming-of-age or slice of life story, it just so happens to involve girls who like girls rather than girls who like boys.

In the anime there is just one single kiss and no-one takes any clothes off at all. Oh, and some holding hands *gasp*

I just wonder if the manga goes further but having read it up to concurrent with where the anime ends I can't imagine from its sweet innocent style that there's going to be any smut or fanservice at all.

A boy-meets-girl story that had one kiss in it wouldn't be rated as 'adult themed' so why a lesbian story?

As to the anime I think its better than the manga; a few scenes were subtly tweaked and slanted just a little to give more edge and character emotion but in ways that you can see only a skilled anime director would think of while a more parochial manga author wouldn't.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.19.2012, 01:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Offhand, the only 'girls-school' anime that I can recall from my collection of anime is "I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs". The only girl-girl relationship that I can recall is where the one girl student is infatuated with the teacher that she (and everyone else) thinks is a woman.
Now there's an adult theme for you, cross dressing...

As Saddles said, it would take a someone who has attended a girls school to be able to answer your question, NC.

As for hand-holding, it was, and apparently is, quite common for girls to hold hands in Japan while walking. I saw this when I was there and also in later film clips...

07.19.2012, 01:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A few BL animes/mangas are set in all-boys schools, similarly. Sukisho and Gakuen Heaven... And in others that aren't set in school, there's barely a female in sight. Like Saddles, I assume the reality's skewed a bit to accommodate the author's ideas.

My Anime List

07.20.2012, 03:19 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been reading this shoujo manga that had a generic storyline, until half way through the first chapter. XD

Y'know, the 16-year-old girl who has never fallen in love. Reads shoujo manga and wants a romance like in her favourite one. Her friends laugh at her and people call her a loser for reading such a lame manga. Then in pops a new and hot transfer student who takes her heart in a second, as well as everyone else's..

Except, we soon figure out he's a delusional lunatic who is the mangaka of the series she likes who is an extreme pervert and has been stalking her and retrieving her thrown out love letters from her trash bin in her room. And follows her around while drooling and snapping photos of her and giving her silly nicknames.

But oh my god, this scene, when she finally thought he was human. XD He suddenly made this face and snapped a picture of her.
http://mangafox.me/manga/kimi_ga_suki_to...01/c002/41.html

It's also funny since even if she's a generic sort of character, when she got upset at him during one part she went all dark and said "That pisses me off". Bahaha it's funny.

07.20.2012, 09:47 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh I see, fair enough I was just wondering. And ahaha oh dear, no Saddles it definitely earns it's adult title somewhat in the manga. Thus far there isn't really anything tooo bad but several of the characters are seen naked, there is talk of sex and certain R-rated antics occur between characters (though you don't actually see it happening, or haven't yet anyway). I'm still sticking with it because the general vibe is still pretty sweet and innocent but it certainly isn't completely clean.

07.22.2012, 04:47 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, well, you've read further than me. I have only just begun the main characters' second year at school.

BTW the anime ends at the end of the 1st year, so nothing remotely iffy in that at all, just lots of relationship angst, family in-fighting and such. I think I may have said above its more like a slice of life story.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.22.2012, 06:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I may have asked this before, but it seems that you are all reading your manga from online sites rather than from the books themselves... Where can I find these sites or better still, which would you recommend...

Thank you...

07.22.2012, 01:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OneManga is the one I always used to use, but I think it's been closed down. I use MangaFox now when I do want to read something.

My Anime List

07.22.2012, 04:27 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

yeah, give me something to do while doing my makeup....

07.22.2012, 06:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read the end of Bokura Ga Ita finally. It has been so many years. <3 ;_;

07.27.2012, 10:21 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I use Mangafox too Husky I find it the easiest thing to do, since it's fairly difficult to get my hands on some of the newer mangas coming out.

It's also handy since if you make an account you can bookmark where you're up to in the manga and it lets you know when chapters have updated etc.

07.30.2012, 10:15 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, Batoto is a good one, Husky.

07.30.2012, 01:15 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Thanks for the info, ladies... appreciate it...

right now I'm reading (book form) "Densha Otoko"

07.31.2012, 05:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

reading "XXXholics" again by Clamp...

08.12.2012, 05:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

D.Gray-man, still. It's up to 215 chapters now, I think. This stuff's getting confusing. And Allen cries too much.

My Anime List

08.16.2012, 08:17 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can you[who reads manga] give me a list of some decent Manga

Which are must read

like ghibli movies

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.16.2012, 12:36 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
Can you[who reads manga] give me a list of some decent Manga

Which are must read

like ghibli movies

Monster.

Best psychological manga I have ever read.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.16.2012, 01:08 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Kare Kano. Miles and miles better than the anime and really dark towards the end of Arima's story.

Be warned: 21 volumes.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.16.2012, 10:31 PM.

08.16.2012, 10:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I second Saddles recommendation on Kare Kano... I have both the set and the anime. Anime is good, but the manga is better, IMO.

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.17.2012, 01:52 AM.

08.17.2012, 01:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Kare Kano. Miles and miles better than the anime and really dark towards the end of Arima's story.

Be warned: 21 volumes.

21 volumes means how much

i heard one volume is like a telephone directory

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.18.2012, 08:58 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks