QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Manga series are you reading right now
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What Manga series are you reading right now » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just marathoned Gakuen Alice the last one week. I forgot how incredibly dark shoujo manga can get.

Time to hunt for the next completed series.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.22.2015, 11:08 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just putting this here, I accidentally clicked on this title when going for another one and decided why the heck not.

Title is Koi wa Amaagari no you ni, and the first released chapter is pretty sweet and promising. Quite recommended.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.31.2015, 06:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought the 23 vol series of "Fruits Basket" and it arrived yesterday... I've already read the first vol and starting on the second. Since I saved money in food and bingo last month, I was able to afford it. Got it cheap at $200...

08.08.2015, 10:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finished "Fruits Basket" yesterday and I must say that it was one of the best manga that I have read. I won't go into any detail for the benefit of those who haven't read it yet.

The ending was a surprise to me and that is about all that I can say about it, but I can see why it is one of the best manga worldwide according to the promo's that I have read about it.

I highly recommend it.

10.01.2015, 06:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hare Kon. It's... I'm not sure where it's going. It's a harem thing with a difference and is pretty... well, different, is all I can say. Artwork is very good. Characters are interesting.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.30.2015, 05:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Hare Kon. It's... I'm not sure where it's going. It's a harem thing with a difference and is pretty... well, different, is all I can say. Artwork is very good. Characters are interesting.

I'm actually reading that series too!

It's been several years but I still sometimes cry myself to sleep at night over Nabari no Ou.

12.05.2015, 02:16 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading The Rose of Versailles at the moment. It's relevant to some university work that I'm doing just now but I've been meaning to read it for some years anyway. I adore Oscar, she's perfection. So noble. Is this my first crush on a female character? I think so.

My Anime List

04.09.2016, 01:51 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I talked about The Rose of Versailles during my BL presentation! Because I had to talk about representation of gender in manga, and because the mangaka is part of the Year 24 Group and is important to the development of BL as a genre. There's some really cool theory out there on gender in manga, especially about female characters dressing in men's clothing and what that symbolized in early shoujo manga.

I totally didn't realize how interested in gender I am in Japanese media until I did this project. Now I'm obsessed with reading any articles relating to it.

04.10.2016, 10:25 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kailee Brambani
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.05.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kailee Brambani Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen the anime version of Hunter x Hunter but I've never read the manga so I'm starting it now. I just finished reading Anyone as well.

04.20.2016, 10:58 AM Kailee Brambani is offline   Profile for Kailee Brambani Add Kailee Brambani to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, I forgot to post this before, but I thought Kaz and FFF might enjoy it. I went to Takarazuka last week, and as you may or may not know, the theatre there has - I think on several occasions - performed a version of the Rose of Versailles. And they even had a statue to commemorate it!

04.28.2016, 12:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yay, you went to Takarazuka!! My best friend picked me up a tin of sweets from the theatre and a post card. Most of my Japanese friends are from that area. ^^ So cool, didn't know there was a statue.

04.28.2016, 08:32 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just so happens I gave a presentation on the Takarazuka Revue last week! I'm really hoping to go while I'm in Japan. I saw a picture of that statue in a book, that's so cool!

My Anime List

04.28.2016, 08:56 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't go into the theatre, because I got the impression there's not a lot to see inside if you aren't attending a show, and I just didn't have a lot of time. The Osamu Tezuka museum is in Takarazuka too and that was good.

04.28.2016, 10:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Mm, that's what I thought. ^^ I hear you have to book the theatre months in advance, much like the Ghibli Museum. And that's cool, he was the one behind Astro Boy, wasn't he? And Princess Knight.

My Anime List

04.28.2016, 10:41 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Yep, that's him. It's not that I'm a massive fan, but considering my interests I thought it'd be worth seeing. The temporary exhibition just now is about his female characters, and when you see them all lined up there you can see the importance of him having grown up in Takarazuka.

And I don't think the tickets work quite like the Ghibli museum ones, but the presale tickets just sell out very fast, as far as I know. You can also line up early on the day of a performance for tickets.

04.28.2016, 11:43 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I can ask my best friend how she got her tickets before, if you want. My friends go all the time when there are shows. Often when the exchange kids go back to Japan one of the first things they do is go to the revue. haha That, or USJ.

Also, totally didn't know Tezuka grew up in Takarazuka! That's so cool. I get so excited when I find out someone grew up in or is from Hyogo. haha The only male mangaka I read anything by is Ishida Sui so I didn't know much about the lives of others.

04.29.2016, 10:40 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

How/why did I start reading Killing Stalking?????

01.04.2017, 09:04 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

For a presentation I had to do in one of my classes recently, I had to find and speed through a couple of manga with transgender-themed storylines, so I found Wandering Son and No Bra.

No Bra should never have seen the light of day, frankly, it was complete and utter rubbish. I wanted to wring the protagonist's neck, horrible little creep. Even the art was bad.

Wandering Son couldn't be more different. I'm a long way from completing it but I'm loving it so far, seeing the characters grow and change little by little, overcoming difficulties and supporting each other... it's really great. It brings lots of bittersweet feelings, and makes me reflect on my own experiences. I like the art style too, it's simple and soft.

My Anime List

06.27.2017, 11:18 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of a certain someone who was going through the same things that you mentioned from Wandering Son and, I hope anyway, was helped by his family here in the Tavern...

No Bra sounds like the kind of title that was likely to have been put on a book of the caliber that you mentioned.

I still hate you an arren!!! You're both in Japan and I'm not....

edit: spelling

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.27.2017, 01:53 PM.

06.27.2017, 01:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've heard of No Bra but now I wish I didn't. lol

My Neighbour's Husband is a really great manga that tackles what it means to be gay in Japan. It's about a single father whose estranged twin brother's husband from Canada comes to visit after the death of his brother. I really love the way it's written, and how we have a child who is perfectly accepting and a father struggling to understand but constantly challenging himself and his preconceived opinions, regret over his relationship with his brother, and noticing how judgmental the people around him can be.

I've been really into Korean BL webtoons because they have such an interestingly different take on BL from Japanese BL. It's also really cool how diverse the series are on webtoon sites because there's tons of BL and GL available. I find Korean BL is more likely to focus on real life issues, particularly sexual orientation and homophobia. The aggravating thing is (and this is kind of an issue I have with media about men aimed at girls in Korea anyway) violence is perpetuated a lot.

I'm really interested now in the topic of bisexuality and biphobia/bi-erasure in Japanese media and BL. Some mangaka will poke fun at this. Was actually surprised no one seems to be publishing academic work on this subject specifically, although it's sometimes included. I've been interested a lot since several of my Japanese friends identify as bisexual and how it's generally not accepted or erased.

06.28.2017, 09:35 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks