QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My anime and your suggestions
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » My anime and your suggestions » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  My anime and your suggestionsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

so far i have watched.These are more than excellent anime. Sequentially written according to my liking

1.Cowboy Bebop
2.Steins;Gate
3.Death Note
4.Planets
5.Code Geass
6.Samurai Champloo
7.Psycho Pass
8.Michiko And Hatchin
9.Black Lagoon
10.Neon Genesis Evangelion
11.Darker Than Black
12.Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor
13.Baccano
14.Psycho Pass 2
15.Dragon Ball Z
16.Kaichou Wa Maid Sama
17.Ghost in the shell Stand Alone Complex Season 1 and 2.
18.Fullmetal Alchemist Bortherhood
19.Fullmetal Alchemist
20.Ergo Proxy
21.Elfen Lied
22.Paranoia Agent
23.Berserk
24.Space Dandy
25.Trigun
26.Serial Experiments Lain
27.Eden of the East
28.Mirai Nikki
and Monster Manga[i think i do not need to watch the series]

i like the mystery and detective or sci fiction or both themed anime more

got any suggestions for me. i created a thread like this before but cant find it so made a new one.

edit1:added two more
edit2:added eight more
edit3:added four more
edit4:added seven more

here is the short review

http://onlineghibli.com/tavern/thread.ph...5&page=2#32

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.30.2016, 08:17 AM.

07.24.2013, 02:35 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am certain you asked us exactly this about 2 or 3 months ago.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.24.2013, 07:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Are these in order of preference? If you liked Cowboy Bebop a lot then you might enjoy some older, episodic kinds of series like Lupin III or Dirty Pair. Of course, they're not so suitable if you're looking for something very serious.

07.24.2013, 07:13 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Monster does not need an anime; the manga is a masterpiece in and itself.

Try Steins;Gate.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.25.2013, 12:41 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I am certain you asked us exactly this about 2 or 3 months ago.

i think i said that in my post

and i have not taken a list so i want the suggestions again

@roar

monster was really a great manga thanks for recommending it.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

07.25.2013, 02:10 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had mixed feelings about Steins;Gate in the end, but it's worth checking out. And it takes place in Akihabara!

07.25.2013, 06:04 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

so do you guys think i have watched all the blockbuster anime series or there is more

@arren

thanks for the info

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.25.2013, 09:19 AM.

07.25.2013, 09:15 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Steins;Gate is really cool

what i found out most of the sci-fi writers in japan actually believe in time travel parallel dimension theory. another thing is that they really plan before making a anime which is quite great

07.27.2013, 09:32 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I plan to watch

Death Note
Stein's Gate
Fullmetal Alchemist

I watched like 7 episodes of Brotherhood thought it was great, but lost the dvd .

I like beauty , art and nature , recommendations ?

07.29.2013, 04:31 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by SpideyIncarnated
I plan to watch

Death Note
Stein's Gate
Fullmetal Alchemist

I watched like 7 episodes of Brotherhood thought it was great, but lost the dvd .

I like beauty , art and nature , recommendations ?

cowboy bebop definitely

07.29.2013, 05:50 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

So saw some[a lot] of anime this vacation and some in the last one.Updating the list and adding some comments

The serial is based on how i marked them not how i liked them

1.Code Geass

Chose it due to the high rating.
remarks: Excellent from almost all sides. Good story,character,animation,plot etc. But it has some deep messages one of them is "Only he should kill who is ready to die too". This is done by Sunrise.So it was expected to be good. Season 2 was better than one. However watching two seasons is a must to understand the whole series.Very much recommended.

2.Samurai Champloo

Chose it for high rating and also made by Cowboy bebop director
remarks:Violent.However i expected that as i was watching something based on samurai life. excellent overall.Very educative in some sense if you ignore some fantasy part. Got some fanservice. recommended if you want to learn about samurai japan fun way.

3.Elfen Lied

Watching Samurai Champloo made me a bit confident that i can handle gore and nudity a little bit.chose it for high rating.
remark:I was wrong completely wrong.Atleast for this series. I never knew that a non-adult anime can be so overtly blatant about nudity and gore. And many parts of it IS fanservice. Personally ashamed of watching it. Still i completed it, why? Story . Despite all these things and even if you just skip those part there are many things that was worth watching in this anime.Specially the starting score. Latin song but beautiful. However i think this anime could be much much better without those things.A very sad story, It was not right for me. But definitely worth a watch due to some arising questions about our humanity toward ourselves[orphans etc]

4.Paranoia Agent

Was in my list for some time. I have watched almost everything of this director.
Remarks: Confused about it.It says many important things and many things we see and ignore. That was well understood but the fantasy factor of the anime was not very clear to me. It made me feel like almost all of his works contains this element ,dream element.Good series worth the time to watch it.

5.Kaichou Wa Maid Sama

So watching serious anime was too much for me. Searched comedy and chose this due to the 1.maid factor 2.romance and high rating
remarks: Yeah it is very funny. If you got time to kill or too much bored to work watching it will cheer you up for sure. Straight forward school romance[i got it this time yaa]. with the sexual tickle. No need for these things. To understand that i watched it skipping and without skipping those parts[made no difference to me]. So these were made to give the viewer what is called guilty pleasure. however it is a happy story with no ill intention. only one fanservice episode[beach one] and that does not involve the special camera angles.People call it shojo so it means made for girls and so there is no intention to make girls sexy. Good series to watch and fun to watch too.
still that is not what i liked it for its core is romance so must tell something about it. I feel it is fair. That is the way i can think about how love works or should work. however i do not understand what love[that is between two unrelated people] is at all. but this anime showed my version of it. recommend for those who have time to kill.

6.Berserk

Had no idea about it.completely chose it for rating
remarks: Old school animation. poor quality and also many cost cutting technique.However it has a very complex story. It is totally adult, the problems and other things it addresses disguised as fantasy element is something tasty for brain chewing[this word describes my thought best]. However the extreme graphic[gore in most case] nature of the anime has demeaned the overall quality .The s** scene and the r*p* scene , the **** probably had a connection with the story but the *** was completely unnecessary. Both in the Elfen Lied and Berserk i cant give them full credit due to this fact. They were overall good but they tried to win by that shock factor[extreme nudity and gore]. I have heard berserk is one of the best mangas. And it really ends with the worst possible episode.And when it started and ended has no connection in them broadly. So i might read the mangas next year if i am alive and have time.

7.Serial Experiments Lain

Was in my list for some time.Choose it for the same reason why i chose GITS that its relation to computer and network
remarks: Wow that is a opening theme. I liked the theme soo much that i might have listened to it more than 50 times, right now too.People often say they quite dont understand it. However the anime was almost understood by me, atleast i think so.Overall the series is slow pacing and some times uninteresting. The problem with soft science fiction is they sometimes too much move away from real world. I have seen some more anime,read books about this particular matter. The thing that most writer cant fully understand that we cant create individuality in a program, a random action is not individuality. We learn these in our AI class. And thats why i liked gits more than this. And thats why the tachikoma who developed individuality had actual neuron. thats why i fear bionic things.However particularly in this anime one line struck my mind that is "is it better just to wipe the bad memories from our brain or face the world". A quite strong question toward escapists. Recommended if you are into science fiction like me and got free time when you are too bored to work.

8.Planets

Planets was in my list for its high rating and the story.
remarks:The animation quality of planet seems second only to ghibli or ig production. Vivid graphics and animation. Specially the communication between space station and space craft acting is superb. I wont say anything more watch it to see yourself.All these were a plus point
The reason i liked most is it defined some of my own questions more clearly.The confusion and the hatred that makes a person do unreasonable things and the take over of large national corporations over the resources were two of those. it is a hard science fiction so it is very close to reality.almost no fanservice. Liked this series very very much. Recommended for everyone as a classic.

End line: All of these anime are very good example of quality anime so they possess the general high quality anime properties.So skipped those, like good character,voice acting bla bla bla.

NB: all science fiction has romance in them, not only in anime in my language too. i read my first science fiction[interesting remembering i was raised reading science fiction. thats why i love them so much] at class 3 or 4[age 7-8] maybe then i did not get many things. now re-reading them i found most of them had this romance element.And i wanted to write some more about them but i think most of you know them anyway.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.19.2013, 08:06 AM.

12.18.2013, 03:43 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Classic" series that I don't see on your list:

Serial Experiments Lain (This is seemingly inexplicable. Some have tried to explain it to me but I just enjoy watching it)

Haibane Renmei (a subtle and endearing take on life after death and redemption)

Fooly Cooly (FLCL) (utter madness and a visual feast)

As for films try:

Ghost in the Shell (the original film, its quite a lot deeper and darker than the TV series)

Anything by Makoto Shinkai especially The Place Promised in our Early Days, 5cm per Second and Garden of Words

Anything by Satoshi Kon especially Millennium Actress and Paprika

Jin Roh (a very dark tale set in a 1950s/1960s fictional police state involving love, deception, politics and awesome armoured suits)

Wings of Honnamise: Royal Space Force (a really off-the-wall take on the space race and the cold war, some intriguing character designs and architecture, also a stunning final battle scene. In places it reminds me of a Russian film, it moves at a slow pace, especially in the middle section but I love this film)

For your specific taste FLCL has a small amount of fanservice but really quite little and Ghost in the Shell's opening credits have a lot of nudity showing the manufacturing of a female cyborg body but get past that and the whole story is intense and satisfying.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.18.2013, 04:19 PM.

12.18.2013, 04:18 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Samurai Champloo was good. I enjoyed it a lot, and a segment of one episode (set to the Okinawan folk song) really stuck with me as a complete masterpiece of animation.

I must admit I'm curious about what you're going to write about Berserk.

I will second Millennium Actress as a recommendation. I think you'll enjoy it very much, and the surreal 'dream element' is fairly toned down.

12.18.2013, 08:49 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
what i found out most of the sci-fi writers in japan actually believe in time travel parallel dimension theory.
I don't think that's true any more than western or any other sci-fi writer beleives in it. A few possibly do, like some British fiction authors do but the vast mjority don't.

A lot of Japanese people have a quite different take on life, death and the spirtual realm but I wouldn't say that necessarily encompasses parallel universes, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
another thing is that they really plan before making a anime which is quite great
Well seeing as its a business venture that has to make a profit for those financing it such as the sponsors and in order to convince those people, full scripts, storyboards, character art, etc would need to be created then yes, they are planned. Anyone who intends to tell any story without planning it out first wouldn't last long in the anime industry.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.18.2013, 10:04 PM.

12.18.2013, 10:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

@Saddle
thanks, but i think you wrote those seeing my list on the top.
I have watched most of those you recommended. Wings of Honnamise is in my list.

And i have watched almost all the things directed by Satoshi kon except tokyo grandfather[maybe thats the name]

watched one episode of FLCL maybe next year.

i talked about parallel universe because it may have a very deep connection with real science[read quantum mechanics-entanglement-unison-teleportation(teleportation is not a science fiction it is real)-quantum computer etc etc).It was written 5 months ago i studied about it last few months.

@mush
thanks.I watched it, liked it more than his other ones.

NB: the post upward is finished now

End: I think i have watched all the blockbuster anime series. So please suggest if there is any more classic series left. Because i think i probably wont watch anime anymore unless there is something worth watching.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.19.2013, 08:19 AM.

12.19.2013, 08:08 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I don't think I'd describe Elfen Lied as "non-adult". Sure, it isn't porn, but it's definitely targeted at an older audience.

Anyway, from that latest list, the only one I've seen all the way through is Paranoia Agent. I was a little disappointed in it honestly, but there were plenty of parts I liked a lot even if it did drag a bit towards the end.

Have you seen Akira? As it's a film it won't take too much of your time. It might be a bit too violent for your liking, and it fits an awful lot of manga into the runtime of a film, but I think the end result is really exciting and interesting to watch, and at least for me it really holds up even after so many years.

12.19.2013, 08:16 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Have you seen Akira? As it's a film it won't take too much of your time. It might be a bit too violent for your liking, and it fits an awful lot of manga into the runtime of a film, but I think the end result is really exciting and interesting to watch, and at least for me it really holds up even after so many years.

of course

Akira is the second movie i watched after ghibli,dragon ball,doaremon

12.19.2013, 08:21 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Seeing as we have been talking about it so much on here recently, have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?

12.19.2013, 01:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Seeing as we have been talking about it so much on here recently, have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?

No. I feel its not a blockbuster

12.19.2013, 09:16 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Anime can be highly entertaining and thought-provoking without being a "blockbuster" (whatever that is). Utena certainly has a very active and large fanbase, mostly people more mature than many anime communities I've come across.

If sci-fi and questions that provoke your thoughts about existence and reality are things that attract you to anime you should give The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a go. It isn't what it at first appears to be.

You don't like slice of life stories do you? If you did I'd recommend Honey & Clover.

12.19.2013, 09:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks