QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Manga series are you reading right now
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What Manga series are you reading right now » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gakuen Alice, because it finally finished this year! Er, last year.

01.06.2014, 01:45 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got the first volume of the Tonari no Seki-kun manga, since I'm enjoying the show and thought it would be fun trying to read it in Japanese. So far so good, though it's helped that I've already seen the chapters I've read.

02.04.2014, 08:12 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Gakuen Alice, because it finally finished this year! Er, last year.

Wow, really? I thought it was gonna be like a shounen title, continuing into a gazillion volumes. It's already pretty long for a shoujo manga. Guess I'll restart the series some time soon.

Koe no Katachi is my current obsession. It continues from the original one-shot which was widely acclaimed, looking into what happens the two main characters meet again. Story's kinda slow, but it has the same feel as My Girl (which I highly recommend as well), really enjoyable.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.04.2014, 09:30 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Landmark achievement for me guys. I managed to track down all ten currently released volumes of Aku no Hana and read them all IN JAPANESE. That's right, I am now a manga reading machine, as long as there's furigana. (I don't need it, but it does make looking up new vocabulary a lot easier.) Not sure what I'll read next. I feel a lot more confident now about just picking something out at the bookstore because it looks interesting and giving it a whirl...

02.15.2014, 09:54 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aku no Hana had furigana? I'm surprised. I didn't think it would be the type of thing to have it. Tonari no Seki-kun has very little despite being extremely lighthearted. It makes it quite time-consuming, but it's fun to read anyway.

02.15.2014, 10:53 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure anything classified as either shounen or shoujo will have furigana, and even some seinen and josei will have it for really obscure vocabulary words. Aku no Hana gets serialized in a fairly big shounen magazine so yep, definitely has furigana.

02.15.2014, 01:04 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dipped into a couple of shounen titles lately! Feel like I've exhausted the shoujo pool for now, and a little tired of similar stories, so I thought I'd branch out a bit. I'm a definite fan of the occasional shounen title, weirdly especially those involving delinquents.

Thus, I've been reading (and really enjoying) Gokusen. This is about the grand-daughter of a Yakuza boss working as a teacher in a delinquent school. Very funny and the characters are really likeable in my mind.

I've also read Darwin's Game and The Gamer. Both are a little similar in theme. Darwin's Game, players active a game app on their phone and have to battle to the death (earning large amounts of money through doing so) and all gain special powers on activation to aid them. The Gamer is set in our modern day world, but there is a secret underbelly of society where people with special, semi-magic talents function. The main character's special power is activated and this makes it so his daily life acts out as if he was in an RPG. I reaaally liked this one and thought it was super entertaining, but maybe that's because I understand the game references well.

03.15.2014, 05:03 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, it has been a long time since I've read any of the online manga and I checked out 'My Girl' again. I'm up to Vol 4, chap 33 and enjoying it very much..

04.13.2014, 01:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
SugarCubes
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.08.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SugarCubes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading some Attack On Titan. Its very...gruesome.

Post last edited by SugarCubes on 04.14.2014, 10:44 AM.

04.14.2014, 10:43 AM SugarCubes is offline   Profile for SugarCubes Add SugarCubes to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I've been on something of a manga binge lately. In English, I read all thirteen volumes of Oyasumi Punpun, a dark coming-of-age story somewhat similar to Aku no Hana in tone but (I think) probably a little deeper thematically. Also very funny on occasion, mostly in the first few volumes before it gets super depressing.

Then I read Blame! in Japanese because I found all ten volumes at a used manga shop. It's a really weird cyberpunk story set in an endless metal labyrinth the size of the solar system called the Megastructure. The outlandishness of the setting, and the obsessive detail with which the mangaka brings it to life, are the main draws. The story is pretty much just the main character wandering around, occasionally bumping into crazy-looking synthetic monster things, while he looks for people with special genes that allow them to access the main computer...or something like that. I read it in Japanese and half the dialogue is technobabble so some of the story's finer points were probably lost on me. But the art is truly incredible.

I'm currently trying to read Subarashii Sekai, a collection of vignettes by the same writer/artist who did Oyasumi Punpun, in Japanese. Also Mushi-shi (they're rereleasing it in Japan right now and I'm buying the new volumes as they come out). Also some stuff by Kaneko Atsushi, who writes bizarre David Lynch-like mysteries and has a really different art style somewhat reminiscent of western comic artists like Daniel Clowes.

04.21.2014, 06:47 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

received and finished vol 8 of "Cross Game" by Mitsuru Adachi

04.23.2014, 10:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just randomnly came across "Gyakusou Shoujo: Owaranai Natsuyasumi" which is actually quite good, involving a girl either trapped in repeating time or being manipulated to relive times of her life and certain incidents for an (as yet) unknown purpose. I thought it was going to be 'just' another HS love story but its turning into something quite interesting.

I think it'd make a good anime.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/gyakusou_shoujo/v01/c001/

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.06.2014, 07:08 AM.

04.24.2014, 09:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kindaichi. Or attempting to, most of the chapters aren't available online, and it's an old series so it's not sold in stores either.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.06.2014, 01:06 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Like Orphic, on a manga binge at the moment. Currently just finished catching up the standards like One Piece and Naruto (gawd these battles just don't end), as well as a few new ones like Working! and Wagatsuma is my Wife. Some titles are kinda NSFW, but the storylines are pretty good. Mostly comedy, a couple are tragic.

Currently looking for any manga that are completed because I just don't like to be left hanging.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.11.2014, 09:06 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Wow, three in a row. But then the last post was three months back so.

Well I finished Usagi Drop since you guys seemed to like it; also, the artwork is much more palatable than most other Shoujo manga. It feels a lot like My Girl by Sahara Mizu (which is an awesome read btw), or at least until vol 4. I don't have a problem with the story after that but the whole "10 years later" thing makes it seems disjointed. It's almost like it was two different manga instead of one.

Anyway, I looked up her other titles as well. The Girl on the Other Side of the Glass is a pretty interesting and funny read, quite recommended.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.27.2014, 12:03 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Re-reading "Chobits" after finally getting it back from my young son... Then I'll watch the anime series...

again...lol

10.02.2014, 01:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Not sure if they would be classed as 'Manga', but they are visual novels, I guess.

Reading three of them I found:

Gaia... Wizard girl sentenced to death but escapes with the help of others...

Red Planet... girl (abt 10?) runaway from a home trapped in a sheriff's car that gets sucked up by a UFO that crash lands on a planet with all the passengers and planet dwellers trying to survive together. Read the first four chapters, no more until March...

and

Sandra and Woo... 12 yo old girl with classmates and a pet Raccoon (Woo)

Read them all thru from the start and now I'm waiting for the next day. They only post a new page twice a week. Gonna be slow, lol

01.07.2015, 10:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kailee Brambani
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.05.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kailee Brambani Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading Hell Teacher Nube. I'm around chapter 20, I think. I was re-watching the Hell Teacher Nube and anime and there are some reviews that said that the manga was better so I decided to give this a shot.

02.06.2015, 11:12 PM Kailee Brambani is offline   Profile for Kailee Brambani Add Kailee Brambani to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay guys, please, please read Kakukaku Shikajika! It's the autobiography of the manga author famous for the big hit Kuragehime (about the jellyfish-loving neet who becomes a fashion designer).

It was so beautifully drawn and written and perhaps more than any other manga I've read it felt like it came straight from the heart. It's just finished and I almost cried at the end.

I would really recommend it!

04.21.2015, 05:57 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I ADORE Princess Jellyfish/ Kuragehime! I'll be sure to look at it!

04.21.2015, 10:28 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks