QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Manga noob here! (Just finished my second one! -is proud-)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Manga noob here! (Just finished my second one! -is proud-) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.07.08
  Manga noob here! (Just finished my second one! -is proud-)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So...
I have been an anime fan (more or less) for a while (roughly six years). So, I have many friends who are obsessed with manga, so I thought "What the heck, I'm an avid reader anyways, might as well try it." So, I checked some out from my library (they only have like, 12 though), and loved them. My first was Beauty Pop vol. 1, which was so adorable and funny. The second was Sakura Taisen vol. 1, which was okay, but I still would like to continue reading it. Ive had many suggestions (Full Moon, Off Beat, Loveless, MeruPuri, Vampire Knight, ect.)
Anyone have any suggestions of shoujo manga I could read, that is relativily inexpensive (I have no moneys >.< ) and kind of easy to find?

Regret is a needle
In my neck
It's slowly filling me with Poison
Spreading to my chest

-From Forsaken by Skillet

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

Post last edited by Mnemosyne on 03.29.2008, 09:20 PM.

03.28.2008, 09:13 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

beast master.

oh, and "1/3 no kareshi."

and "ai hime."

if your lookin for manga then go to www.onemanga.com
thats where i go.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

03.28.2008, 09:17 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There's Full Moon wo Sagashite, Lovely Complex, Kare Kano, XXXholic, Cardcaptor Sakura, an Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, for a start.

Btw, this goes to the anime forum. *moves*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.28.2008, 10:06 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aw, I was going to say Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE but Roar got there first. But anyway, yeah I still think it's the most fantastic manga ever. I haven't read CLAMP's other stuff yet but if it' like that then I'll love it. So you should definitely try TRC. Like harmony said, onemanga.com is brilliant, I've read TRC, Bleach and Beauty Pop there.

My Anime List

03.29.2008, 05:30 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i also recomend "your my girlfriend" and "fall in love like a comic "

03.29.2008, 05:55 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Btw, this goes to the anime forum. *moves*

your magic!

The Death Note manga is quite good from what i've read of it. Plus Death Note is just amazing anyway.

Why have I not finished the series!? Will do so later.

03.29.2008, 06:56 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Death Note isn't exactly Shoujo manga though That said, there's also one particularly beautiful manga called Someday's Dreamers that I recommend. There's also an anime for that FYI.

PS: W00t, Roarkiller magic

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.29.2008, 12:20 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, our Roarkiller is quite the budding Harry Potter...

Happy Hustle High is a cute Shoujo manga, its only 5 volumes and gets quite racy towards the end, (people go to bed and not to sleep either) so might be worth a look. The art style is cute too, the main girl is very sweet.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.29.2008, 04:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Darnish, did I misspell shoujo? I'll fix that.

Thanks guys, this helps alot.
My friend reads Deathnote, and yeah, I wouldnt say its shoujo, but it seems awsome anyways. I used to watch Cardcaptor Sakura, and Ive wanted to read it, so its a good thing that its recommened. ^_^
And is that online scan one manga thing completly legal?I find it a bit "iffy".

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

Post last edited by Mnemosyne on 03.29.2008, 10:07 PM.

03.29.2008, 09:20 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

cardcaptor sakura? *eyetwich* uh, yeah, lets just say the manga is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different to the anime....WAY different....

03.29.2008, 09:52 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kare Kano seems like a safe bet.

03.29.2008, 10:00 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...'Cause you know, it just seems wierd. Like the google books contreversy.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

03.29.2008, 10:12 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

kare kano rocks! long live hideaki asuba!

03.29.2008, 10:24 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mnemosyne
And is that online scan one manga thing completly legal?I find it a bit "iffy".

As far as I'm aware, it isn't legal in any way.

03.30.2008, 04:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
harmony-of-mar
Baron

but who cares anyway?

03.30.2008, 05:29 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The authors maybe?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.30.2008, 05:47 AM.

03.30.2008, 05:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, personally I'm thinking the authors will make quite enough money from the copies that are sold legally. Besides, it'd be impossible to try and eradicate these illegal scanlation sites anyway, it'd be like trying to get right of all the copyrighted material on YouTube or Veoh.

*hopes this doesn't turn into an argument* ^^'

My Anime List

03.30.2008, 07:03 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami *hopes this doesn't turn into an argument* ^^'

Let's hope not. Then again, quite a few of us are either leechers or streamers anyway, so eh.

@Mnemosyne: It's about as legal as watching anime on Youtube or Veoh or whatnot. But the usual moral for fans like us is that if we like it enough, we buy the real thing. It's why quite a couple of us have the full set of ghibli movies, even though we've seen it elsewhere before.

I'm a quarterway there, btw...

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.30.2008, 11:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Well, I dont really dont care, as long as I can read it. Just wondering. But reading on the computer never really is the same like reading on paper. It's different when youve got the real thing in your hands and you can curl up on the couch and stuff.

Plus, I have a set of Ghibli movies, bought it for $36.67 on ebay.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

03.30.2008, 08:57 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks