QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've nearly bought Champloo 2 or 3 times but didn't. JRR recommended it but then he recommended FLCL to me and I didn't rate that much. He and I must like different things. FLCL is good in its way, just not my thing. Please let me know how you feel about Champloo when you've watched it all.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.30.2007, 11:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

over halfway done Exile. I like it, with more enthusiasm. I still am curious about this broken character weirdness saddles was talking about, but so far so good.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.30.2007, 12:05 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

SC is nothing like FLCL. SC is 50% more comedy, 70% more drama, 100% understandable and identifiable, 95% child-proof.

School Rumble has taken a dramatic twist with Sawachika, though not unexpected. But I have to say, while I love Yakumo at first, Sawachika is fast overtaking her, which would make it the first time I like the blonde girl (no blonde puns intended).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.30.2007, 12:11 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok, ok. SC has gone up i my expectations with episode 9 being probably the best so far.

Spoiling it, Mugen happens upon a <cough> "Crop" guarded by Tengu. Destruction of said "crop" brings some freaky animation and allows them to get past this check point.

12.30.2007, 01:39 PM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Finished Last Exile, and I enjoyed it. Not enough to go on my usual sig making tangents but liked it enough to recommend it.

Only thing I found a little weird was how Lavie went from main character to minor character. That was a little awkward. But I mean, it isn't my series so I have no say in the directing of it.

Next up on the list is Fate/stay night.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.30.2007, 04:26 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan Only thing I found a little weird was how Lavie went from main character to minor character.
Look at the series again, all the characters go wrong about halfway through. Its like the scriptwriter got amnesia and forgot who they all were and what they were doing.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.30.2007, 06:39 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

read an article in sfx anime allota animes have the intro as the best part.

i am watching planetes.go space junk collectors!

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

12.30.2007, 07:12 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I've nearly bought Champloo 2 or 3 times but didn't. JRR recommended it but then he recommended FLCL to me and I didn't rate that much. He and I must like different things. FLCL is good in its way, just not my thing. Please let me know how you feel about Champloo when you've watched it all.

I most certainly recomend it!!
Although you might not particularly enjoy fighting scenes and such, you can be assured that SC contains a little bit of everything from romance to horror so dont let that put you off Saddles. I think this is the smartest animes ive seen and it's all done with some great animation and art.
If you only watch it once then it would still be worth your money..
Ps: i didnt like FLCL after the first episode but i love Champloo so don't judge by comparison between JRR's and your own tastes.

12.30.2007, 10:26 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan Only thing I found a little weird was how Lavie went from main character to minor character.
Look at the series again, all the characters go wrong about halfway through. Its like the scriptwriter got amnesia and forgot who they all were and what they were doing.

But cant you change what the characters are about? Events affect people, the writers i believed used an event to trigger responses from most of the characters, its the writers characters, he can do what he wants with them. I liked that better than where it was headed. That was just about the most cliche starting of any story in the history of storytelling. SPOILERS KINDA:Random guy who goes about his daily business gets wrapped up in events that are totally bigger than him and then it is determined that he is the only one who could do it.END OF SPOILERS

If anything, I would give the writer a hand for not going down the path perfectly and at least throwing a few change ups and curve balls.

Click for Gallery^^

12.31.2007, 12:42 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LAST EXILE SPOILERS !!!

Well, here's a few examples:

As you said half way through Lavie's story just stops. She gets upset that Claus spent time crashed with that girl pilot in the desert and goes into weepy mode for about 3 episodes and never really comes out of that sulk/moody fit. Her character never resolves it.

Claus gets kissed by the XO *completely* at random without rhyme or reason. That was a total WTF? moment. There's no follow up to that nor explanation.

What is the XO doing? She's a queen yet she's bumming around on some rebel airship for several years. Why?

Claus crashes with that stuck-up Russian-y girl pilot (I forget her name). Something seems to happen between them. She starts to get a different take on Claus... yet... yet... yet nothing. That whole subplot is never developed.

Avis seems to have some sort of hidden powers linked to the Stream. Yet these are never explained, developed or used. We're told they exist and then... pfft, nothing.

Sure, there's character development and there's extraordinary things characters might do when influenced by shocking events but the stuff above was just badly written, it made no sense. Of course, if it did make sense I'd love to have it explained.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.31.2007, 03:28 PM.

12.31.2007, 03:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

SPOILERS

Lavie's story runs its course. she would not confront her lifelong friend. it wasnt in her character in the eyes of the writers and they ended it there. The story doesnt have to be fleshed out.

Tatyana had some sort of revelation and it changed her opinion and actions towards the other characters, i would say that that is a little bit more than nothing.

Alvis was the key to unlocking exile, so i would figure it safe to assume that she would have some sort of influence on one of the defense methods.

The kiss was random, but i am willing to allow a little randomness.
END SPOILERS

Click for Gallery^^

01.01.2008, 02:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I finally finished Full Moon just before Christmas and enjoyed the ending a lot, the storyline really picked up once teh America trip started.

However it would definitely have been a better series if it had been concentrated into 26 episodes. I've said it before, no anime needs to be more than 26 episodes and 52 is ridiculous.

Currently still watching Haibane and I am so falling in love with this series. It may well join my top three of all time alongside Kare Kano and EVA. I'll probably do a proper review of this when I'm done, it deserves it.

01.03.2008, 09:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Watching and loving Fate/stay night. I got 5 eps left and then Saber departs from my anime watching life forever, it will be a sad day, she rocks.

EDIT: Finished the series, really enjoyed it, recommend it if you like series with more action to them. it is closer to a bleach than i would have thought, but it is much better.

Click for Gallery^^

Post last edited by Miyrru on 01.03.2008, 01:50 PM.

01.03.2008, 11:51 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Onto the third episode! >:3 OK, I really like it's art style and it's just so funny to me. Me love Nozomu! ^^

edit = Holy crap! Light appeared and almost killed Nozomu! @.@ This.. is gonna... kill me from laughing... isn't it?

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.03.2008, 08:13 PM.

01.03.2008, 08:04 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aw I started watching Tsubasa Chronicle today, I love it so much! This anime has some serious CGF!* Fye's so cute, Syaoran's so cute! And the story's cool too. You see? I'm not just in it for the guys this time!

*In case you forgotten, CGF is Cute Guy/Girl Factor. In my case it's always Cute Guy Factor.

01.04.2008, 06:53 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

spelt "fai"
Or fay,depends where you come from.
here its fai.

01.04.2008, 06:59 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's spelt Fye where I am.

Fay's a girl's name is it not?

01.04.2008, 07:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

only if its pronounced "fay".
pronounced fai=boys name.

01.04.2008, 07:12 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Leave my Fai alone. @.@

I spell it Fai because me and Allie are that way with names. It's because he's a well known character at school, thanks to my obsession.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ep 6, and Azumanga Daioh ep 2. OK, fans of Azumanga would be in good for So Long, Mr.Despair. *the other series I mentioned, that's it's English title, well, it's Goodbye, but I like So Long better. The opening has nothing to do with the series*

01.04.2008, 10:22 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's spelled Fye, because that's how the creators spelled it. Like how it's Syaoran with a 'y', not Shaoran.

But then, I don't really like how some companies spell the japanese names in englsh. Like how a few characters in Gundam is spelled weirdly, like Andorew Weldfeld, and Yzak.

But that's Japan's japlish for you.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.05.2008, 02:31 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks