QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Isakaya High School - Tech Discussion ONLY
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Isakaya High School - Tech Discussion ONLY Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Isakaya High School - Tech Discussion ONLY Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Use this thread to discuss the roleplaying, ask questions, sort out names or language issues and suggest plot ideas maybe.

Anything at all in fact so we can keep the main thread purely for the roleplaying.

My name is Okayu Sadoru - family name first, then given name.

We should try and convert our forum names to Japanese style.

For a Romaji/English dictionary try here: http://www.dicts.info/2/english-japanese_romaji.php?e=mc2

I think we should use some Japanese language in the roleplay but if you do, put a translation in this thread so the less articulate can understand it.

Here's a bunch of Japanese words I've picked up over the months from anime and from a very helpful and kind Japanese friend.

Hai – yes, I understand, ok
Iya / Damo / Chigau – various forms of no / but / wrong. See discussion below(***).
Onegai – please
Arigato – thank you
Arigato gozaimasu – thank you very much
Gomen – sorry
Gomen nasai – very sorry or a more formal ‘sorry’
Sumimasen - excuse me
Okurete domo sumimasen - please excuse me for being late
Dou?, Dou siteru?, Don-na? - How are you doing?, How is everything?, What's up?
Mah mah – Fine, Everything’s okay, Pretty good.
Ohayo – morning
Ohayo gozaimasu - good morning (more polite/formal)
Konnichiwa – good afternoon
Chiwas - colloquial greeting
Yah - colloquial greeting
Ohi - colloquial greeting
Sayonara - goodbye
Moshimoshi - hello (on telephone)
Tadaima! – I’m back! (or I’m home!)
Okaerinasai – welcome back (home)(to the place where you belong/should be).
Okaeri – welcome.
O-namae wa? - what's your name?
Watashi wa… - I am...

Okasan – mother (kasan)
Otosan– father (tosan)
Kotatsu – low heated table surrounded by a padded cloth
Futon – bedding mat
Kawaii - cute
Yuri - lesbian or girl/girl relationships
Shoujo Ai – literally ‘girl love’, another name for lesbian relationships
Yaoi – homosexual or boy/boy relationships
Baka - stupid / idiot / moron / jerk = generic insult or curse.
Komorebi - sunlight filtering through the trees
Onigiri - rice ball
Nishi - west
Minami – south
Kita - north
Hgashi – east
Shikato - ignoring (a wall of silence)
kakushi/kakusu - to hide
nezumi - mouse, rat
kuma – bear
neko - cat
hebi – snake
kami – spirit
basu – bus
shouji – sliding partition
sensei - one who gives a service. Could be a teacher, a doctor or other professional
kouchou-sensei - head teacher or head master

-san: honorific for someone of status equal to yourself
-sama: honorific for someone of status higher to yourself
-chan: honorific for someone of status lower to yourself, and term of endearment for family and friends - very informal
-sensei: honorific for professors, doctors, teachers
-kun: similar to chan, but mostly applied to males

(***)"No": Japanese do not have a strong denial word like "no". When they deny, they say it several ways depending on the situation. Here are examples as girls' conversation. “Let's go to a movie”, reply: "Dame (pronounced da-me, not deim), I have lots of homework.” “Are you free tonight?” reply: "Iya (pronounced like year) I'm busy”. “Is this my cake?” reply: “Chigau (means wrong). It's mine.” To make it polite, add "desu"....."Dame-desu","Iya-desu" or "Chigai-masu".

Girls prefer "dame". They often say "Dame-dame!" ("but, but!" ) for No, No! Textbooks for Japanese learners teach "No" as "Iie” (pronounce i-i-e). It's the official way but kids don't say it in their conversation.

Please add more Japanese to this thread as you use it / find it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.02.2007, 08:25 PM.

07.29.2007, 04:21 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah. Very useful. Thanks for that. Also, I couldn't help but note "yuri", "yaoi" and "shoujo-ai" - three very important terms for any nerdy roleplayer.

07.29.2007, 04:48 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I edited a few out.

If you wanna go all yaoi on me, no sweat I can roleplay with the best of 'em...

But no, I just lifted that straight out of my Japanese notes document I use for my fanfics.

I thought some of the colloquial greetings, 'how are yous?' and so on might be useful.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.29.2007, 05:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Imperfection
Calcifer

Registration Date: 07.25.07
  Search for Posts by Imperfection Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually decided that I would join in, but does it matter when you come into it, I'm the trype of writer that takes a little while to get my work perfected.
And by changing our forum names, can you use your actual name too?

07.29.2007, 06:24 PM Imperfection is offline   Profile for Imperfection Add Imperfection to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Imperfection
does it matter when you come into it,

Not a bit. I think transfer students arriving after term starts are pretty much obligatory in anime aren't they?

As to how much you perfect your writing I think (at least hope) the pace of the thing will speed up as more join in so it should be a pretty fast conversational type story or play [or anime - ha ha] so I would think there won't be time to perfect long clever eloquent passages, you'd get left behind by the flow of things - at least I'm hoping so.

People tend to not use real names on forums though, I think it's an internety thing. By playing on words I get Fubi Karinushi from your username and part of your real name (that's given name first then family name). Or Fubi Gekkei from the other part. Gekkei is a bit of an odd word though - it can also mean lunar cycle and menstruation so as a character name might not be to your liking. But Fubi Karinushi is quite cute.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.29.2007, 07:20 PM.

07.29.2007, 07:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Imperfection
Calcifer

Search for Posts by Imperfection Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks I may do that, I like being different to everyone.
Heh I'll try and keep that in mind, I'm a perfectionist but it should be no problem.
I think I'll use the second one, sounds better and it has a nice 'air' to it.

07.29.2007, 07:48 PM Imperfection is offline   Profile for Imperfection Add Imperfection to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

no is (iie) in japanese

does anyone here study japanese at school?
i'm halfway through my first year

07.29.2007, 08:51 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

uchi kara umi ga miemas

07.29.2007, 08:53 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
no is (iie) in japanese

Technically you are correct but in colloquial terms few young people use Iie, they use the words I give above and do not speak in such strong negative terms. Listen to the Japanese spoken in anime that's set in high schools - you'll hear Damo and Chigau used a lot. Iya used rarely and Iie hardly ever.

Trust me - this comes from a Japanese high school teacher who teaches girl students.

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
uchi kara umi ga miemas

which means?

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.29.2007, 09:15 PM.

07.29.2007, 09:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A few points:

-The term "dame" literally means "cannot", as in "it shouldn't/cannot be done".

-The terms "yes" and "no" is EXTREMELY ambiguous in Japanese, and unfortunately, it is actually wrong to say that they translate as such. The proper use is to affirm/deny the subject at hand. For example:

A: Mada kaeranai no? (You're not going home yet?)
B: Hai.

In English, we'd give the answer as no, as in "No, I'm not going yet.". But in Japanese, the answer literally means as "Yes, that (what you said) is correct."

Hope that's comprehensive enough.

-"Iya" and the more formal "iie" is used often enough. Their meanings and usage differ substantially from "chigau" and "dame".

Btw:

quote:
uchi kara umi ga miemasu

"I can see the sea from my house."

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.30.2007, 12:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks Roar, I hoped you'd drop by and tidy things up.

07.30.2007, 04:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Does anyone wanna roleplay the teacher? I think we might need one. Just try to avoid being like Mr Kimura from Azumanga Daioh and I think we'll be OK...

07.30.2007, 09:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Imperfection
Calcifer

I was just wandering, but could we choice to be two characters, say have one in 3rd person and one in 1st, I was thinking of being one of the teachers as well as a student.

07.30.2007, 11:09 AM Imperfection is offline   Profile for Imperfection Add Imperfection to your buddy list
Momiji
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.28.07
  Search for Posts by Momiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Imperfection
I was just wandering, but could we choice to be two characters, say have one in 3rd person and one in 1st, I was thinking of being one of the teachers as well as a student.

That sounds like a great idea! As long as you think you can roleplay two characters simultaneously, then I can't see any reason why you can't be the teacher and a pupil?

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so I won't be around to roleplay until the end of the week. Just thought I'd let you know before I suddenly disappear! O_O

07.30.2007, 11:37 AM Momiji is offline   Profile for Momiji Add Momiji to your buddy list
Imperfection
Calcifer

Yea that's a slight worry for me if i'd be able to but I'll think about it.

Well have a great time and stay safe, I may have joined in on the roleplaying when you come back.

07.30.2007, 11:39 AM Imperfection is offline   Profile for Imperfection Add Imperfection to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I don't see why not, as long as you think you can hack it. I wouldn't want to see 'your' student getting special priviliges from 'your' sensei though. That would suck for the rest of us.

07.30.2007, 12:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Does anyone wanna roleplay the teacher? I think we might need one. Just try to avoid being like Mr Kimura from Azumanga Daioh and I think we'll be OK...

No.

By all means be exactly like Kimura.

07.30.2007, 01:54 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
J.L.Jones
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.24.07
  Search for Posts by J.L.Jones Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well apart from a few errors and mistakes in the japanese (no offense) it should be fine xD im learning to speak japanese atm and i can speak very basically (i can do a conversation and speak a bit) it should be fun xD

Is this picking off of my idea (just wondering) cus i asked if youd thought about doing a roleplay topic the other night xD JUST WONDERING hehe

Beyond The Black Moon Lies My Soul, Covered In The Shadows Of Time, I Dwell In The Comfort Of The Night

Rage Is Like A River, Hatred As Its Current Destroying Everything In Its Path...
This Beast That Lies Dormant Beneath The Exterior Feels Strong... It Feels Good... Watch It Rise To The Surface As My Blood Boils And Anger Engulfs My Very Soul

07.30.2007, 04:10 PM J.L.Jones is offline   Profile for J.L.Jones Add J.L.Jones to your buddy list Send an Email to J.L.Jones
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by J.L.Jones Is this picking off of my idea (just wondering) cus i asked if youd thought about doing a roleplay topic the other night xD JUST WONDERING hehe

Hm, yeah, sorry. I thought your idea rocked so I went with it.

Actually, Arren18, Kimura-sensei would be brilliant! Unless you were a girl of course when he'd be extremely unnerving.

07.30.2007, 04:18 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
J.L.Jones
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.24.07
  Search for Posts by J.L.Jones Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha im glad u did xD

Thanks ^^

Yeah we should all make our own characters.... ill do it when i get bk cus im kinda tied up in Egypt atm.... bloody slow internet cafe =[[[[[

^^ No problems my fellow Leicesterererer

Beyond The Black Moon Lies My Soul, Covered In The Shadows Of Time, I Dwell In The Comfort Of The Night

Rage Is Like A River, Hatred As Its Current Destroying Everything In Its Path...
This Beast That Lies Dormant Beneath The Exterior Feels Strong... It Feels Good... Watch It Rise To The Surface As My Blood Boils And Anger Engulfs My Very Soul

07.30.2007, 04:26 PM J.L.Jones is offline   Profile for J.L.Jones Add J.L.Jones to your buddy list Send an Email to J.L.Jones
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks