QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ocean Waves dub
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Ocean Waves dub » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Ocean Waves dubPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A few questions...

1. What should the title be? "Ocean Waves", "I Can Hear the Sea", or something else?
2. Who should dub it?
3. Who will do the voices?
4. How will the Tokyo accent vs. Kochi accent conversation be handled?
5. Should the ending song be translated?
6. Will it ever be done?

Answering my own questions...

1. Niether title makes sense, but I can't think of anything that would. Between the two, it should be "Ocean Waves". A little easier to attach a metaphor to.
2. Not Disney. They take too long. Still, somebody with that kind of power. Y'know, they can get any actor/actress they want in the movie by just asking them to do it.
3. Beats me. Morisaki's voice had better be good, since he does most of the talking. Rikako's voice shouldn't be too different from her Japanese one. Maybe a little bit deeper, but not too much.
4. I think it shouldn't be a matter of accent, but more like how they sound. Like, "You sound like a teacher" or something like that. Still, they need to connect the fact that Rikako's accent is the reason she's having difficulty making friends. Also, later she says she hates anyone who speaks with a Kochi accent. That's a little harder to do. I'd love any suggestions.
5. Heck no! It's perfect as is.
6. Eventually. I doubt it will be soon, though.

04.22.2007, 08:51 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, I recognize you from Imdb

quote:
What should the title be? "Ocean Waves", "I Can Hear the Sea", or something else?

As I said on IMDB, I "Umi Ga Kikoeru" sounds very lyrical, though the literal translation "I Can Hear the Sea" sounds a bit akward, I still think I prefer it to Ocean Waves, which I feel is a bit too generic and uninteresting.

I believe the town it takes place in is an oceanside town, which would explain the title.

quote:
Not Disney. They take too long. Still, somebody with that kind of power. Y'know, they can get any actor/actress they want in the movie by just asking them to do it.

I don't really watch dubs, but I'm not exactly too happy with the western DVD releases of a lot of Ghibli films. I think there could maybe be a bit more shine and content in them then there already is. Maybe I'm wishing for too much.

quote:
Should the ending song be translated?

I sure hope not!

quote:
Will it ever be done?

This film wasn't really a blockbuster Ghibli film, it was made for TV, with some of the younger staff, and it takes place in everyday life, and so it doesn't have as much power drawing the typical western animation audience. I think if it does ever get translated, it will be after a long wait.

Post last edited by Theowne on 04.22.2007, 10:00 PM.

04.22.2007, 09:59 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If they're gonna translate the accent as well, I'm afraid it will turn out to be something like the CCS dub (note: Kero's texas accent).

Which I doubt will go down very well for the fans.

Unfortunately, for anime series, most of the time they just ignore the accent altogether. And considering that it is technically NOT an accent (it's a dialect, strictly speaking), it's gonna be a damn tough call.

In any case, in my VERY honest opinion, it ain't gonna have a dub for a very long time.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.23.2007, 12:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure a dub is entirely necessary. However, I would like it to be released on DVD here, and if there isn't a dub, I don't really care since I'll watch it with subs anyway.

04.23.2007, 11:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks