QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Lets Make a Manga Story!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Lets Make a Manga Story! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.17.15
  Lets Make a Manga Story!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok, so as some of you know, I want to produce a manga story! Your job is to help me write the storyline... but there ARE some guidelines you HAVE to stick to;

1. This is STRICTLY a book aimed toward younger readers 9-12 and has some appeal towards adults as an emotional,adventure story. So NO adult themes please!

2. Don't think your idea will be guaranteed a part in the story, I will try my best to get everyone's idea into this story. So no nagging please.

Arigato!

I want this story to be like something Studio Ghibli would produce (think Totoro) bright, bubbly, but also an emotional film (like Totoro)...So get creative!

I hope you guys reply!

01.23.2015, 09:55 PM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's your story, MG, it'd be best to hear your ideas about it first. Don't expect others to do this for you. Let your imagination run and see where it goes. Listening to music can be helpful, I get ideas for characters that way sometimes.

My Anime List

01.24.2015, 07:42 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I understand what your saying, Kaz, but I'm not being lazy, and letting others do it for me. It's pretty easy to write a short story. I just wanted this to be a story made by Studio Ghibli fans.....If no one wants to, that's fine with me, I just thought it would be something cool to do.

But arigato anyway!

P.S. I am loving the nickname MG keep it up!

01.25.2015, 01:35 AM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

All I can say, MG... It was your idea and I for one know my limitations. I can come up with different scenerios, but they are all cliched ones of one boy and girls and funny, embarrassing things that happen at school sort of thing or vice versa with one girl and boys... I am just not good at originating story lines. Give me a direction to go in and I might be able to come up with something, but other than that, I'm stumped... I know that the others in the Tavern like to do these things and would probably join in, so go ahead and give it a start...

01.25.2015, 03:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Read our old Role Playing Game "School of Shadows" and make that into a manga! You've even got characters drawn for you in many cases

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.25.2015, 05:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Read our old Role Playing Game "School of Shadows" and make that into a manga! You've even got characters drawn for you in many cases

A lot of copyrights though, haha. That said, gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun's Sakura Chiyo and White Album 2's Ogiso Setsuna looks an awful lot like Asuka Langley, so hey.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.26.2015, 06:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But Mai has black hair and Aoi had black hair too, so...

Lots of manga /anime characters look so similar anyway, I hardly doubt you could claim, "Hey, that character's from Fruits Basket" or some such when the only similarity is some facial features.

Wouldn't you like to see yourself in a manga Roar?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.26.2015, 07:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, some of you artists out there, draw a Roarkiller from his avatar...lol

01.26.2015, 11:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've come up with a vague start of the storyline...

The main characters are girl/boy twins called Riko (girl) and Ryuki (boy). The story is set in their local highschool...
One day they find a portal to a different world (oooooh mysterious) and... that's where I'm up to.

I would love some help with creating and naming that world. The twins will be there most of the time. Also naming the highschool and coming up with a teacher or someone who works at the school who knows that the cupboard is there, this character could be good or evil.

please reply!

Arigato,
MG

01.26.2015, 10:38 PM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm super bad at naming things, but it may help if you gave a rough idea of what the world was like.

Also, I'm curious, why a high school setting for readers aged 9-12? There are pretty different themes and conflicts present between the reader's age and the character ages - unless you're wanting to focus on a super fluffy high school haha.

01.27.2015, 03:08 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Mitio Takahashi is a guy who, being an avid reader, seems to know a lot for being a guy who passes his grades, but never under 50 in his class rankings. He is ? years old, unruly black hair, with green eyes, which is unexplained. He generally keeps to himself, but likes Riko and Ryuki. He lives three doors away from them with his maternal Grandmother. He is otaku and spends a good portion of his day, with his manga and anime... Does ok in sports, but not a passion of his and thusly not very talented along athletic lines.

I have forgotten how schools are named in Japan. Mitio's age to be determined with final decision in timeline.

How does that sound for a character???

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.27.2015, 11:12 AM.

01.27.2015, 11:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

I think there might be some confusion with the age of the main characters, I've just done some research and would like to say the twins are in Middle School. I made a mistake, in Australian public schools, there is no middle school, you start highschool when your 12 turning 13! Oops...

Anyway, as for Husky's, dare I say, brilliant addition to the story; your character is the perfect addition to the story.

Riko (aged 13) and Ryuki (aged 13) are generally quite friendly to Mitio, but he is shy, and is generally quite rude and suspicious of them, caused by the sadness of losing his parents so young, as the story goes on, they find him a caring, gentle person. He is 14.

The story will be written first in a non-manga style with describing words, but it will have plenty of verbs and conversations to make it easier to convert to manga. The punctuation won't have to be perfect either.

Now for the start of the story; (new characters will be introduced as the story unfolds)
"Breakfast!" called Haha, from downstairs, "come and get it before it gets cold!' (I'm pretty sure Haha is what you call your mum in Japanese, confirmation would be good)

Ryuki and Riko both groaned and stumbled out of bed.

"coming Haha" they said in unison. They tumbled down the stairs, eyes half open, following the smell of miso soup. As they made their way to the table Haha exclaimed in exasperation;

"why do I even bother with you two, go clean yourselves up! Go on, and remember to get dressed into your school clothes, it's the first day!"

Riko and Ryuki obeyed, and stomped back up the stairs. As they were getting changed Riko said, worried;

"I hope we aren't late, or we have a grumpy teacher"

"Don"t worry so much Riko, its not like we've changed schools, and besides, look at the time" said Ryuki, pointing to their clock.

An hour later.....

That's as far as I'll go, I have to go now, please add on from an hour later. Arigato!

Post last edited by MiyazakiGirl on 01.27.2015, 07:35 PM.

01.27.2015, 07:30 PM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think we had that discussion before, probably when talking about character ages in our RPG. In Japan, its like this:

Nursery school/kindergarten = up to age 5
Elementary school = 5 to 11
Middle School = 12 to 14
High school = 15 to 18
University = 19+

01.28.2015, 07:35 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, it's like this:

Nursery school/kindergarten = up to age 6
Elementary school = 6 to 12
Middle School = 13 to 15
High school = 16 to 18
University = 19+

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.28.2015, 10:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Arigato for that guys

01.28.2015, 07:30 PM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The creation of a whole fantasy world is no easy task. I can't say I'm fond of the cupboard idea. Too Narnia-esque for me, I guess? I don't know... In general doors of any kind used as portals to different worlds are rather cliche. I think Spirited Away managed to create a pretty original way of transporting Chihiro into the Spirit world (Well, it was more like the Spirit world came to her, but oh well). I can't think of a cool way to get them into the other world right now, but I know I wouldn't want it to be via cupboard. Perhaps the plot could involve Mitio more, since he's the only character that has a background which seems to invoke interest. Maybe his parents aren't really dead, but trapped in the other world - perhaps a world of his own creation? He can avoid the issues he has with his parents by keeping them there. That way when Ryuki & Riko discover his secret world he is angry. I don't know what problems he'd have with his parents, but it's just an idea...
Wait. Maybe the world isn't a world at all - and is actually a manga which Mitio is trying to write in order to reconcile his past with his parents. However the story could presents Mitio's manga from Riko and Ryuki's imaginative viewpoints so that it seems like another world - And the fact that it is just a manga isn't revealed until near the end. Mitio could keep the manga hidden somewhere at school, so his grandmother would not be likely to find it. Maybe a teacher could discover it, but I don't think the teacher should be the villain.
Perhaps the kids view him/her as one, but actually the teacher has their best interests at hand. I just don't like purely evil characters or purely good characters.
That's about all I have for now. But, I'd like to add that if we are all supposed to be writing narration and dialogue, people's different writing styles will unavoidably clash. It might be a better idea to try to have certain people work together on different parts of the story, that way some sort of consistency with words may arrive.
Also I guess his parents could be dead, but I thought it would be more interesting if they were alive. But, I suppose it could work either way. He could be writing about his dead parents or his distant, but alive parents.

Check out my music:

Post last edited by Tea Master Tall on 03.13.2015, 07:44 AM.

03.13.2015, 07:37 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks