QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Neon Genesis Evangelion » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan i wish i had people like Rei and Asuka in my head helping me srt things out.

I can see your point on Rei's input at the end there as she (and Kaoru Nagisa) are really himself trying to help himself but I'm not sure about how helpful the Asuka part of his mind is (I see all the people as part of the one person, not separate characters at this point). The Asuka part seems to be really anti-salvation all the way through at this point and I think I interpret the death of the real Asuka fighting the EVA 5-13 series and Shinji strangling her as representing Shinji/Anno discarding the extrovert/aggressive part of his personality as no longer useful.

Of course I could be wrong but for me that interpretation fits. If you can show me how the Asuka character is actually helpful during these closing stages I'd love to see it as I feel the story is very anti-Asuka at the end. It's not that I have a strong need to see useful aspects in Asuka (because for example she's a cute babe) - as I said by this stage there are no characters for me just aspects of the self.

I would be so grateful if Anno would sit down for a long interview, or write his autobiography. I actually think there is lots of material in EVA that could be helpful to heal others in the same situation.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.07.2006, 07:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The character thing with all in one is like
Hororo, Sarara, Chiriri, and the other fairy I
can never remember outta bottle fairy(as if
one person with mixed personnalities of 4)

12.07.2006, 07:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Are you sure that Asuka dies in the end? because at the very end Shinji is strangling her and she speaks right before the credits, i might be wrong because i had an english dub and i couldnt understand some of it, but i get where your going by not looking at characters, but there seperate influences are apparent, they do exist in shinjis mind even though Rei is merged with Lilith, and Asuka is dead/gone/somewhere.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.07.2006, 08:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nice, you just told me the ending.
That's okay, that explains some stuff.
strangling her? Cool..

12.07.2006, 08:04 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

asuka was so annoying i wanted to smack her a few times.

12.07.2006, 11:56 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think IRL Asuka dies in EVA-02 (the NERV comms team see the actual destruction of the EVA). Now, as to what happens to her after she reaches a higher plane of existence with everyone else who died in the final battle I'm not sure. Shinji chose to return in a corpreal body rather than join the 'single merged spirit' and he chose to have Asuka with him even though he had big trouble relating to her and her to him IRL.

My take on this is that Anno/Shinji chose to face the world rather than the opposite (joining the 'single merged spirit' i.e. giving up) and by choosing to have the most annoying/obnoxious/opposite type of person for a companion Shinji/Anno is saying, "I will face my worst fears/enemy and try and succeed".

Hmmm. I think.

But at the end he is still strangling her which I simply don't get and she says a final word which IIRC is "disgusting", so she's no closer to liking him.

As I said I really do need to sit and watch the whole 26 eps and 2 films thru again.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.08.2006, 07:19 PM.

12.08.2006, 04:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yes, i did forget about him not chosing to merge with the spirit, and he chose to take Asuka with him, im unsure what the symoblism of takeing her with him means, she does try to motivate him by belittling him and her striving to beat him. it is curious to see what would happen after him and asuka after everything, it isnt fully explained, im sure it says somewhere in the film that if he chose not to unite with the spirit that it would revive everyone. But i do have to sit down and watch all 26 and films and take notes.
EDIT: gotta add what i think he wants to accopmlsih, and it is quite simple, I am I.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

Post last edited by Miyrru on 12.08.2006, 06:24 PM.

12.08.2006, 06:15 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I agree, self-identity is his goal.

12.08.2006, 07:22 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

yep, i definitly have to analyze the trip there because i want to look back and see how i got through it, cause hte thought process is identical.

Click for Gallery^^

12.08.2006, 08:00 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Not quite on the topic but I had to post this link - this is the finest Evangelion AMV I have yet found. It's almost movie trailer quality. If you've not seen the series then consider this the perfect introduction, it gives a mix of action and the human relationships in the series and films. Magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCpTcCIQJg

12.09.2006, 06:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
yep, i definitly have to analyze the trip there because i want to look back and see how i got through it, cause hte thought process is identical.

BTW you have a PM.

12.09.2006, 06:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

yep i got it, sorry ive been curling all weekand and im dog tired.

Click for Gallery^^

12.09.2006, 07:22 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you curl? i have never played that before...

12.09.2006, 08:17 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

i love it, its really big over here in canada, im in a junior tournament to try and win my city so we can move on to the next level, but we lost all 3 games that we have played so we dont have a chance anymore .

Click for Gallery^^

12.09.2006, 08:20 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I just saw something I'd never noticed before. In the scene where Shinji puts on Gendos broken glasses and Rei, annoyed, pulls them off him and they fall on the floor, as she's lying there with him kneeling over her - well, there is a rainbow that appears over them.

I was stunned when I saw that. Is this Anno showing us an emotion of Shinji's?

12.23.2006, 06:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

hmm, i never saw that either, it could be, i havent seen the series in a while so i gotta rewatch them all, but a rainbow could mean anything, it could symoblize shinji and rei together, maybe even shinji and yui. we must investigate a bit more.

Click for Gallery^^

12.24.2006, 11:35 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well the end of evangelion on the origional series did suck until they got the right idea of making the film and the film was great.... but

for the people that have seen the film and other people if they want to view it heres another alternative ending that you could get on dvd.... except i think in japan

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetaDgjpSS4

part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93V9Xv-m-XY

thought it want too bad an ending but prefer the animation ending

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

12.25.2006, 07:53 PM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
Are you sure that Asuka dies in the end? because at the very end Shinji is strangling her and she speaks right before the credits.

The 'strangling on the beach scene' really gets me. I just don't understand it (like lots of people it seems). Clearly Shinji kills her, you can see that from the effort he puts into it, from her hand falling away from his face, her eyes and him crumpling down at the end. Then we hear a word spoken in her voice. Hmmm... is this her soul speaking as it joins the Instrumentality Project Single Entity? I have no idea.

12.25.2006, 09:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by mpw3d
well the end of evangelion on the origional series did suck

Of course your opinion is valid but I'd disagree with you. For me the TV series ending was perfect, it was all that the 26 episodes had been leading up to, if you'd been tuned to Annos wavelength while watching.

I like the 2 alternative movie endings as well although 'End of' leaves me more confused than the end of ep.26.

quote:
for the people that have seen the film and other people if they want to view it heres another alternative ending that you could get on dvd.... except i think in japan

Thanks for the links but I'll avoid those. The anime says all that needs to be said for me.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.25.2006, 09:20 PM.

12.25.2006, 09:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello!

I am at last watching episode one. The only reason I haven't done so before now, is because I'm a lazy git.

I'm excited.

EDIT: oh no I'm not. Google Video is officially an arse. I'll borrow it from my friend, who was supposed to send me the disc for PaintShop 3 months ago, so it could take a while. Still quicker than Google Video.

Post last edited by arren18 on 03.01.2007, 04:03 PM.

03.01.2007, 03:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks