QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Tales from Earthsea
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Tales from Earthsea » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
TurnipHead7
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.09.07
  Tales from EarthseaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TurnipHead7 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*SPOILERS* sorry

Hey all as i am new to this, although i've liked Studio Ghibli films for a while now.

Does anyone fully understand at the end how it is that Therru dies and then comes back to life as a dragon? Is it something to do with her true name? (As sparrowhawk realised there was something about her when he first saw her)

Also does that mean that it is not Arren's true name that matters and that's why Cob could die as she had the wrong name? Not really sure about this... that's why i'm asking so what does everyone else think?

Also did anyone else think that Cob looked exactly like a woman?

Post last edited by TurnipHead7 on 09.11.2007, 11:54 AM.

09.09.2007, 07:18 AM TurnipHead7 is offline   Profile for TurnipHead7 Add TurnipHead7 to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

not only did cob look like a woman, but in the original japanese version he sounded like one as far as i can remember.

09.09.2007, 07:32 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You might want to put a spoiler warning or something. Now the ending's ruined for me.

09.09.2007, 09:34 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
not only did cob look like a woman, but in the original japanese version he sounded like one as far as i can remember.

in the Japanese version Cobs played by a women aswell, yet refered to as a man for some reason

09.09.2007, 02:24 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by TurnipHead7
Hey all as i am new to this, although i've liked Studio Ghibli films for a while now.

Does anyone fully understand at the end how it is that Therru dies and then comes back to life as a dragon? Is it something to do with her true name? (As sparrowhawk realised there was something about her when he first saw her)

Also does that mean that it is not Arren's true name that matters and that's why Cob could die as she had the wrong name? Not really sure about this... that's why i'm asking so what does everyone else think?

yeah ive seen the movie a few times and all of that still makes no sence

09.09.2007, 02:26 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah. You really do need a spoiler warning.

Basically, this brings back one problem of the film: the fact that it assumes the viewer already has an encylopaedic knowledge of Earthsea. It is based on the third book, but Therru is a character from the fourth.
In the book, Sparrowhawk understands there is something strange and special about her, and there are many references to a legend about a woman turning into a dragon. Her true name, Tehanu, is the name of a star in the book.
I'm not sure sure what you're saying about Arren and his true name though. Would you care to expand?

Also, Cob is a man. The character design is a blatant rip-off of Orochimaru from Naruto, who is also outrageously iffeminite.

Post last edited by arren18 on 09.09.2007, 02:31 PM.

09.09.2007, 02:29 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Like everyone else has said, you should put a spoiler warning on this. It doesn't matter to me specifically though, I spoiled the ending for myself.

As to Cob, I have no idea why they changed the voice actor to a man in the dub. Crazy dubbers I guess.

My Anime List

09.09.2007, 02:35 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

its his first post, cut him some slack on the spoiler warnings

09.09.2007, 03:32 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO

Is it? Oh geez it is! I hope we haven't put him off ...

My Anime List

09.09.2007, 03:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
quote:

lol, well if he has no new posts in the next few days than youll know if u put him off

09.09.2007, 04:05 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
quote:

lol, well if he has no new posts in the next few days than youll know if u put him off

09.09.2007, 04:06 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

opps, what the heck, my bad

09.09.2007, 04:08 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sorry, i didnt even think about the spoilers either.

09.09.2007, 08:33 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
TurnipHead7
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TurnipHead7 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm very very sorry to everyone that i didn't put a spoiler warning on and i apologise to anyone if it ruined the end. I can only say that i am an idiot and i'm very sorry. Also does anyone know how to change the title of the thread so i can add a spoiler warning??

Also by Arren' true name i meant that as she knew Arren's true name she surely shouldn't have died but as she did maybe it wasn't Arrens true name that mattered? Perhaps it was Therru's true name that gave eternal life??? Just a thought i don't really know

09.11.2007, 11:55 AM TurnipHead7 is offline   Profile for TurnipHead7 Add TurnipHead7 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm... I'm not sure I understood that in the film. Which goes to show that things weren't explained clearly enough.

09.11.2007, 12:19 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

quote:
I'm very very sorry to everyone that i didn't put a spoiler warning on and i apologise to anyone if it ruined the end. I can only say that i am an idiot and i'm very sorry. Also does anyone know how to change the title of the thread so i can add a spoiler warning??

Also by Arren' true name i meant that as she knew Arren's true name she surely shouldn't have died but as she did maybe it wasn't Arrens true name that mattered? Perhaps it was Therru's true name that gave eternal life??? Just a thought i don't really know

thats a pretty good thought, and dude dont worry about the spoiler warning thing its a little late and i dont think you can change it without admin powers

09.11.2007, 04:01 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Trust me, it doesn't really matter now.

Anyway, the movie has a lot of plot holes, so I suggest you read the novels for a better understanding. There's too many unexplained events in the movie people can't understand without reading the novels.

Kinda like Suzumiya Haruhi.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.12.2007, 12:43 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Got to watch it. I didn't know it was on Veoh, and I didn't wanna wait anymore. XD
I thought it seemed a little slow, but I still liked the animation a lot. My sister got addicted to Arren. XD
We kept making up weird words at one part, where Arren's in that carriage thing thingy..
Me:Hn...why do I have a collar and..OMG, it's on my hands too! I'm a dog!
*bright light shines in*
Oh, god! Now I'm gonna get abducted by aliens!? AHHHH!!!!
*door opens*
OMG, it's GOD. Oh, wiat-No, it's jus that guy. -.-

It was a joke. nothing offensive. -.- Me and my sis got wrapped up in the movie and I always say stuff like that. XD

09.12.2007, 05:00 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched this, really good. This is the first Goro animation i have seen and IMO, it doesnt compare to his Fathers. It was a pretty good story, but the ending wasnt the best.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.14.2007, 04:23 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Pink
This is the first Goro animation i have seen

As yet, it is his only one.

09.14.2007, 11:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks