QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
Most moving scene in a Ghibli FilmPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Could everyone tell me which scene they think is the most moving? Think about all the Ghibli Films you've seen and which bit of one touched you in a very personal way.

Any replies would be wonderful

06.05.2007, 04:14 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good idea, this topic has never been discussed before. Although I can't bring myself to choose the most moving moment out of a single Ghibli movies, I can think of certain points that stood out in specific moments.

[Warning: Spoilers ahead - but then again, thats pretty obvious]

Grave of the Fireflies - When the end returns to the beginning. Undoubtedly the most moving Ghibli movie of all, but this moment is particularly gutt-wrenching -despite knowning what was coming.

Princess Mononoke - The whole scene when San invades Iron Town. A very dramatic moment in the movie, reaching its peak when Ashitaka stops the fight and gives his speech -perfectly complemented by the increasingly loud background music.

Spirited Away - The train journey. This is an unusually serene and detailed moment, reminiscent of Mamoru Oshii's montage scenes in Ghost in the Shell -though more interesting and less long-winded.

Ocean Waves - The scene when Taku and Matsuno make up, and the final train station scene. Although a TV movie, this too has some truly moving moments. I particularly like it when Taku runs after Rikako at the end and thinks he's missed her, but the camera then pans around and she's standing right there. Very touching.

Nausicaa - The flashbacks to her childhood. Brief, but touching moments that demonstrate to not only the viewer, but the Ohmu, what a kind and caring person Nausicaa is and always has been.

Porco Rosso - Porco's flyover Gina's house. What a beautiful moment, both romantic and hilarious. Perhaps I'm just partial to flashbacks, but I really do adore this scene.

Anyway...there is more, but I think I've written enough. I'm sure everyone will agree that all Ghibli movies have some wonderfully moving moments.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

Post last edited by E_Hakki on 06.05.2007, 03:41 PM.

06.05.2007, 10:09 AM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the train scene in spirited away is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo moving - but then again so is the whole film for me

06.05.2007, 02:29 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whisper of the Heart. It's hard to pick one part as being particularly moving, but my choice would be the credits. A strange choice, you might think, but I think that this point gives the viewer a chance to truly think about what they've seen, and showing people walking along normally makes the story seem like a tiny corner of the overall picture and suggests that it could all happen to anyone. Also, the point during the credits showing Sugimura and [I've forgotten her name, the one that liked him] together finishes off everything with a moment of beauty, love and above all, innocence, without being interrupted by dialogue or anything.

I hope that even if you disagree, you can see my point.

06.05.2007, 02:56 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like arren18's answer. Personally, mine would be the scene where Shizuku sings country road along with the others. It's just the whole atmosphere of creating music together, as a group, that I love so much. I like the subtle expressions in the scene, the realism. Like how her voice doesn't, unlike certain American films, magically transform into a pitch-perfect, pop star's voice. Hard to explain, I guess, but that's the one for me.

06.05.2007, 04:01 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You're all sitting there thinking I'm going to talk about Whisper aren't you?

But no.

The Ghibli scene (or set of scenes) that has actually moved me the most is the last 20 minutes of Only Yesterday,

WARNING SPOLIERS!!!!!!!

starting from the time the granny suggests Taeko could marry Yoshio and stay on the farm right to the end. The whole way this sequence is constructed and directed is simply wonderful. Particularly beautiful is Taeko's recollection of the boy in her class who hated her and refused to shake her hand. And the whole of that evening car drive in the wooded hills is so moving. Culminating in the final scene where Taeko gets off the train and goes back and Yoshio drives back out to the station and meets her.

Just marvellous art, marvellous.

I've got many favourite moments in Whisper of the Heart, Ocean Waves and Porco Rosso too but as a total emotion overload the end of Only Yesterday has to be the most heartwarming piece of any movie I've ever watched. No matter how often I watch it I can never stay dry-eyed. I'm starting to get emotional now just thinking about it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.07.2007, 07:04 AM.

06.05.2007, 06:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Omis
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow this is great! I wasn't expecting such as quick reply Just realised I never said what the most moving scene is for me :S

It would have to be the lepper scene in Mononoke. The bit where one of the men talks about suffering in life but we have reason to keep going on. I always end up crying when I watch this scene.

It's the fact that Laby Oboshi is portrayed in a very non biased and non judgemental way that I like this scene best of all. Yes she wants the forest destroyed but she recognised the needs of her people.

By the way a few of you mentioned Ocean Waves. I saw snippets of it, in the Birth of Studio Ghibli extra, on my Nausicaa DVD, but I want a copy of it. Can any of you help me find a Region 2 copy? Thanks

06.06.2007, 06:26 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Omis
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really like Saddletanks reply. Great choice!

I've always loved Mononoke but overall Only Yesterday is my favourite. The scene which you described is perfect isn't it. I always feel emotional when I hear the theme piano music at the start of the film. Who's the composer again?

06.06.2007, 06:31 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with saddles aswell.
I love that bit. So touching.
I was about to say everything saddles said. But hes already said it.. so, read his post.

I also love the bit when she is walking down the road, and the theme to "Hyokkori hyoutan Jima" starts playing and the rainbow comes up over her head and she sings a long.
I once watched the bit on repeat 20 times in a row. I just loved it.
That movie is amazing. I want to see it again now.
too bad I lent to my dad who is out of the ocuntry atm.
He probably wont see it anyway..

06.06.2007, 09:08 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Setsuko's death.

Because it's the only scene in all ghibli mobies to actually draw tears into my eyes.

It's late, too lazy to type long stuff.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.06.2007, 11:06 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for some reason i didnt find whisper of the heart moving i did like it - mabey ill like it more on my 2nd viewing!

grave of the fireflies didnt move me that much either - but it was still effective

@saddles can u please put spoilers befor u write about an ending or a twist etc. as u hav already spoilt the endind of whisper of the heart for me ( on wingsee) thx

06.06.2007, 12:46 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OK, sry.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.06.2007, 06:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Omis
Tanuki

Just remembered another moving scene for me.

Spoilers! Just in case you havn't seen this one.

I really liked the scene in Laputa with Uncle Pom. Such a small character in the film but the way how he felt overwhelmed by the power of the crystal (forgotton its name) really stuck in my mind. Do any of you know the bit I mean.

06.07.2007, 06:34 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yes. I was quite moved by that scene too. I wrote a fanfiction based on Castle in the Sky and that Uncle Pom scene made a connection for me between the Victorian industrial society depicted in Pazu's town back to the people who used to live on the flying islands. I think the way that Pom reacts to Sheeta's stone there is somehow very importnat to the fabric of that story.

06.07.2007, 07:03 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spiritied Away - Train Ride, nuff said

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

06.07.2007, 05:45 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
Spiritied Away - Train Ride, nuff said

I agree with you. That sequence is one of the defining moments in animated history.

If we ever send out another deep space probe after Voyager I reckon on the computer hard drive in that probe should be Miyazaki's SA train ride.

Any alien seeing that couldn't possibly wanna come here and nuke us. They'd wanna come here and give us a hug.

06.07.2007, 06:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

definitly, i have to get a SA ost so i can toss that track duriong the train scene on the ipod, its just an amazing scene, greatest single scene in all the films combined.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

06.07.2007, 07:07 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Chihiro_spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiro_spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmmm... the most moving scene for me is either in kiki's delivery service when she loses her powers, spirited away when they're on the train, or in porco rosso when he turns into a man for a moment.

06.08.2007, 02:44 PM Chihiro_spirit is offline   Profile for Chihiro_spirit Add Chihiro_spirit to your buddy list
Miyaka
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.06.07
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This poste is from a little friend of mine her code name is
Susacu.

My favorite movie is Caslte in the Sky, Laputa.
And my favorite part is when at the caslte and speak the word that will destroy Laputa, it just struck me that they would do that to save the world below from the evil cousin.

06.08.2007, 10:25 PM Miyaka is offline   Profile for Miyaka Add Miyaka to your buddy list
Miyaka
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.06.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whisper of the heart: she lies down on the floor after writing on her book, she is thinking about the boy. it is something I do too.

06.08.2007, 10:38 PM Miyaka is offline   Profile for Miyaka Add Miyaka to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks