QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Tales from Earthsea
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Tales from Earthsea » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In other cases, I might sympathize with that kind of view. But my understanding is that Miyazaki is fortunate to have retained a large degree of creative control over his work, meaning that (to me) the more popular recent ones more or less constitute well-deserved recognition that should have been there all along, rather than an artist selling out for popularity. And frankly, I don't quite understand why Spirited Away was so much more popular than some of his other works, seeing as it's a lot less "straightforward" than Kiki's Delivery Service or other films. It wouldn't strike me as something aimed at a general audience, and yet, it had widespread appeal...

Still, I guess there's an attraction to things just because they're still obscure and different.

Post last edited by Mush on 09.20.2007, 02:18 AM.

09.20.2007, 02:16 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"For those who are ten, for those who are about to be ten, and for those who were ten."

Pretty general if you ask me

Anyway, to argue about whether his earlier works or his later works are the better ones is moot; quality isn't decided by time.

Anyway, Miyazaki was generally known more than just a workaholic. He was also a perfectionist.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.20.2007, 02:51 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When you compare his works, you have to factor in the time in which they were made. Things can change over a few years, or decades if compareing his earlier work to his more recent work.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.20.2007, 05:06 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

exactly
artistic styles, plots, story telling, etc. are all due for change every few years.
its just like watching movies from the 60's or 50's, there not to interesting.
not saying Hayao's early stuff isnt interesting, but in todays world (as in 2005+) it doesnt meet that "something"

sry i couldnt get a word for "something" it was right at the tip of my tongue but i couldnt find it
hopefully you know what i mean

09.20.2007, 07:21 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
In other cases, I might sympathize with that kind of view. But my understanding is that Miyazaki is fortunate to have retained a large degree of creative control over his work, meaning that (to me) the more popular recent ones more or less constitute well-deserved recognition that should have been there all along, rather than an artist selling out for popularity. And frankly, I don't quite understand why Spirited Away was so much more popular than some of his other works, seeing as it's a lot less "straightforward" than Kiki's Delivery Service or other films. It wouldn't strike me as something aimed at a general audience, and yet, it had widespread appeal...

Still, I guess there's an attraction to things just because they're still obscure and different.

Yes, the fact that not many other people know about things can make them attractive to some people.

I'm not one of those people, spirited away was the first ghibli i saw all of so i owe my allegiance to that as the initiator of my Ghibli love.

09.20.2007, 07:27 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
exactly
artistic styles, plots, story telling, etc. are all due for change every few years.
not saying Hayao's early stuff isnt interesting, but in todays world (as in 2005+) it doesnt meet that "something"

Does Nausicaa, for example, not "meet that something", as you put it?

09.20.2007, 11:23 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

oh no, Nausicaa definitely meets that "something", i just mean Hayaos very first few

09.20.2007, 05:38 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He only had one film before that.

I see what you're getting at, though; Nausicaa does seem sort of dated to me. At least, the film seems to be a product of the era in which it was made more than Miyazaki's other works, what with the funky soundtrack and giant bugs and stuff.

But I don't think that theory always holds up. Most of my favorite movies, for example, were made decades before I was born.

09.20.2007, 10:54 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Theres no way that Nausicaa isnt one of Hayao's best. IMO, it is his best.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.20.2007, 10:56 PM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found that it lacked the storytelling finesse of his later works, and I find the soundtrack grating. It's good, but it's not one of my favorites.

09.20.2007, 11:04 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.20.2007, 11:14 PM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I found that it lacked the storytelling finesse of his later works, and I find the soundtrack grating. It's good, but it's not one of my favorites.

Ye, the soundtrack and sound affects jump around to much i think, and are very... eighties.
But it is certainly an excellent storyline in my opinion, and had it been made last year it would have been just as popular as howls... open to debate of course...
Also nausicaa has some great artwork, especially the manga.

09.21.2007, 01:07 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

I think that the music when the bugs are around is some of the best i have heard in an anime. But thats just my opinion.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.21.2007, 01:14 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
exactly

Style, yes, but plot and storytelling? No.

Sorry, it's either good or bad, regardless of era. Time doesn't affect imagination.

09.21.2007, 02:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Pink
Calcifer

Ofcourse it does...Isnt age a factor of time?

P1nk777@Deviant

09.21.2007, 03:41 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

yeah, think about it
the way stories were told in the 40's for example, were with little dialog, small sets and slow passed stories, now most movies are faster passed, more dialog, large sets and huge budgets

Post last edited by ={HSA}= MORO on 09.21.2007, 07:30 AM.

09.21.2007, 07:29 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Pink
Calcifer

Also, ideal's, feelings and beliefs change as we age. And dont all of these things influence our imagination?

P1nk777@Deviant

09.21.2007, 08:10 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the age thing is a good point

i downloaded the original 1979 gundam movies, i turned the first one off after 10 minutes, the animation was painful to watch. i couldnt do it.

now notto say nausicaa is crap because it isnt even close, but it has aged. but i think it aged more gracefully than most films, i can still watch it. the age factor doesnt jump out to me when compared with the other ghibli films as they are all in the same style.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.21.2007, 10:50 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really like how Nausicaa looks. It is aged, but I don't particulary feel that it hurts my level of enjoyment, nor that it will worsen over time. I really enjoy seeing all of the stylistic changes the industry,and Miyazaki himself, go through.

I also really liked the music, it's like electro classical, which is very neat.

09.21.2007, 05:21 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Its a classic. Which means that people who grew up with the film, or watched it when they were growing up, they will always love it. But for people who are watching it in todays day and age, it will be alot different.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.21.2007, 11:52 PM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks