QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Yahoo! Users' Top Rated Animated Films
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Yahoo! Users' Top Rated Animated Films » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Yahoo! Users' Top Rated Animated FilmsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Was browsing around and saw this.

[Link here]

A total of four movies made it on the list. Interestingly, HMC was higher on the list than Princess Mononoke, while Kiki's Delivery Service was nowhere to be found (even though Transformers was, lol).

Unsurprisingly, Spirited Away sit at the top of the collection, and at a pretty impressive #5 too.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.04.2009, 12:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The top four films were released either this year or last year. And I'm supposed to believe that the methodology used in this survey was good? Obviously it's just a ranking of what's popular in people's minds right now, with the most recent Pixar film (Up) getting the number one spot. Does anyone really think that "Kung fu Panda", considering all animated films of all time, superior to the Lion King? "Bolt" will probably be forgotten in a month or two. I'm surprised Yahoo even published the results of this survey considering how obviously tinged towards new releases it is.

Of course that's ignoring the Ghibli films, but I don't expect them to take the top spots because the classic Disney films have a stronger imprint in the West for obvious reasons.

Post last edited by Theowne on 07.04.2009, 01:44 AM.

07.04.2009, 01:43 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
Does anyone really think that "Kung fu Panda", considering all animated films of all time, superior to the Lion King?

Very possibly.

And surely any survey is only going to deal with what people are currently thinking. In fact, that's the point of a survey! It's not there to see what people thought 10 years ago, but to see what they think right now. And right now, people seem to like Bolt, Wall-E and Up.

I don't agree with the list either, but there's not much point in complaining about it, because clearly the Yahoo! users of today have made their minds up.

07.04.2009, 05:14 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Films being popular in people's minds right now is not the same as saying films that people consider the greatest of all time, which is how it's being portrayed by Yahoo. I just find it odd how it could be listed as such when the results clearly show something else.

07.04.2009, 02:54 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
phenolphthalein
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by phenolphthalein Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Up is the best? Did yahoo survey people as they were walking out of the cinemas or something?

hmm...i prefer this ranking http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Genres/Animation/average-vote

where nearly every ghibli is on its top 50 list and out of those which are, all but 1 is in the top 30.

Post last edited by phenolphthalein on 07.05.2009, 04:58 AM.

07.05.2009, 04:10 AM phenolphthalein is offline   Profile for phenolphthalein Add phenolphthalein to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here are some notable issues:

1. Happy Feet sucks.
2. Ice Age 2 and Shrek 2.
3. Cars being higher than the Incredibles.
4. Monsters vs. Aliens actually being made (and being at #15).
5. Kung Foo Panda and Bolt at #4 and #3.
6. Wait . . . Ice Age 2 is on the list, but Ice Age isn't? I mean, neither one was very good, but the first was still a lot better than the second one.
7. Cinderella and Lady & the Tramp beat out Pinocchio, Fantasia, etc.
8. No Iron Giant?

Some nice things:

1. No Snow White
2. Pretty high concentration of Miyazaki
3. Ratatouille
4. Mulan
5. Coraline beating Aladdin and Little Mermaid (no doubt because it was released so recently, but still)

Actually, most of the movies at the top of the list are good (with the exception of Bolt and Kung Foo Panda). The selection at the bottom of the list is a lot more questionable. It's a pretty worthless list, really; I don't know why I'm spending so much time on it. It's reflecting what's on the minds of the populace right now, and that's about it.

07.05.2009, 10:08 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by phenolphthalein
Up is the best? Did yahoo survey people as they were walking out of the cinemas or something?

hmm...i prefer this ranking http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Genres/Animation/average-vote

where nearly every ghibli is on its top 50 list and out of those which are, all but 1 is in the top 30.

Lol, nice comeback, me likey.

Which movie didn't make it into the top 30? I'm guessing Yamadas?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.06.2009, 09:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
phenolphthalein
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by phenolphthalein Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It would be interesting to see votes split into different areas. Like having one for US, EU, Asia etc to see how people's preferance are divided.
If you read the comments from yahoo users on Ghibli films, its very clear that certain American viewers have strong opinions against japanese anime. For what reasons i don't know.

07.06.2009, 09:12 AM phenolphthalein is offline   Profile for phenolphthalein Add phenolphthalein to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65613

I think this is a great list, it has such variety. Interestingly, it ranks 'Future Boy Conan' as Hayao Miyazaki's greatest work. I couldn't agree more .

07.06.2009, 09:45 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65613

I think this is a great list, it has such variety. Interestingly, it ranks 'Future Boy Conan' as Hayao Miyazaki's greatest work. I couldn't agree more .

That is a great list. Nice to see Yuri Norstein so well represented (top two spots!), although I'm a bit puzzled by Hedgehog beating out Tale of Tales. There is a lot of stuff on there I have yet to see, so it's definitely the list that's sparked the most interest for me.

07.06.2009, 06:27 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I gotta be honest, I never understood why people rave so much about Yellow Submarine. The movie was very fragmented and thus hard to follow at times. Probably because I saw the abridged single movie instead of the, what, four episodes?

And um, why is Tom and Jerry so near to Akira and Spirited Away?

Still, this is a compilation of favourites technically, and we all know that favourite may not necessarily mean the best, so I take comfort in that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.07.2009, 09:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At first I was annoyed at how the results are so skewed and how naive the general public must be. But then I realized that if I cared about what the general public thought, I wouldn't be on this site. Besides, Ghibli wouldn't have the same charm if it was mainstream. There's something about watching a Ghibli film that feels like entering a secret world that few people visit.

07.07.2009, 09:52 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
The top four films were released either this year or last year. And I'm supposed to believe that the methodology used in this survey was good? Obviously it's just a ranking of what's popular in people's minds right now, with the most recent Pixar film (Up) getting the number one spot. Does anyone really think that "Kung fu Panda", considering all animated films of all time, superior to the Lion King? "Bolt" will probably be forgotten in a month or two. I'm surprised Yahoo even published the results of this survey considering how obviously tinged towards new releases it is.
You get these sorts of results frequently when you canvass public opinion. People do the same when voting for their governments - if X made a good speech on TV yesterday he/she will get more votes.

For such rankings to really be meaningful you need film critics to construct the final top ten, or to offer it to the public but only rank movies at least 5 years old, but I doubt such a mechanism would appeal to Yahoo!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2009, 10:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
For such rankings to really be meaningful you need film critics to construct the final top ten, or to offer it to the public but only rank movies at least 5 years old, but I doubt such a mechanism would appeal to Yahoo!

With critics you can occasionally get an opposite problem, where they tend to ignore anything recent, or anything that didn't completely revolutionize the industry. I die a little bit inside every time I see Snow White listed as the greatest animated film.

07.07.2009, 10:22 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm glad to see that Fantasia made the list...

40th place for a 1940 animation...not bad..

07.08.2009, 02:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

With critics you can occasionally get an opposite problem, where they tend to ignore anything recent, or anything that didn't completely revolutionize the industry. I die a little bit inside every time I see Snow White listed as the greatest animated film.

But critics' opinions reflect universal truth!

That was sarcasm, by the way.

07.08.2009, 05:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Don't get me wrong, I pay attention to what critics have to say. A lot of people are shocked when I tell them I'll only watch a movie if it has good reviews. How do you know you won't like it just because they didn't like it? How do you know it's good just because they think so?

People: it's like going to the doctor. You go to a doctor because they've studied medicine and they've seen a lot of diseases. Nine times out of ten, a doctor will give you better information than the average person on the street. Yeah, there are some critics who have no idea what they're talking about, but with sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic now, it doesn't even matter. Unless every single critic is wrong about a movie, you're going to get a good idea of its quality from its overall score. There's no excuse not to at least check before you choose to watch something.

Sorry, that really wasn't on topic at all. I'm just sick of being called "elitist" because I show actual discretion in what I watch.

07.08.2009, 07:19 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I read reviews too. I didn't mean to sound like I was calling you an elitist, but it just reminded me of people who decide that they know better than everybody else when, unlike medicine, film is based on personal opinion.

07.08.2009, 07:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Don't get me wrong, I pay attention to what critics have to say. A lot of people are shocked when I tell them I'll only watch a movie if it has good reviews. How do you know you won't like it just because they didn't like it? How do you know it's good just because they think so?

People: it's like going to the doctor. You go to a doctor because they've studied medicine and they've seen a lot of diseases. Nine times out of ten, a doctor will give you better information than the average person on the street. Yeah, there are some critics who have no idea what they're talking about, but with sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic now, it doesn't even matter. Unless every single critic is wrong about a movie, you're going to get a good idea of its quality from its overall score. There's no excuse not to at least check before you choose to watch something.

Sorry, that really wasn't on topic at all. I'm just sick of being called "elitist" because I show actual discretion in what I watch.

I am exactly the same! My friends always give me shit, like, "how do you know it will be bad blah blah blah," but basically I am a movie lover so I feel quite in tune with the critics opinion. So I'm not wasting my $12.50 on something I'm not gonna like. And Rotten Tomatoes NEVER lies.

07.08.2009, 07:46 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Howl's Moving Castle got good reviews, yet I hated it. And I'm a pretty harsh critic.

Okay, maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but the point is, in the case of artwork, there's no standard benchmark to measure against. You either like it or you don't, just like people arguing about the differences between a Chopin and a Mozart.

There's no "good" or "bad", only "like" or "dislike". And this, I believe, beats all other opinion out there.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.08.2009, 11:16 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks