QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Olympics
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Olympics Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  OlympicsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So what, no one likes organized sport? There has to be someone with whom to discuss the Olympics here. Ignoring the political side, it's pretty fun to watch. Too many records being broken, and Canada is doing horribly so far. I guess we pumped all our cash into the 2010 Winter Olympics.

How about an easy one, what's your favourite event to watch?

08.15.2008, 12:27 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Raymus
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Raymus Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Man Phelps is clearing out the gold medals. Also Kazahkstan (spelling?) has more medals then Canada. haha

08.15.2008, 12:37 AM Raymus is offline   Profile for Raymus Add Raymus to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gymnastics, yay! ^.^ China won that, and the winners looked so happy, although they couldn't have been sixteen yet... ah well, yay! ^.^

And gosh, Phelps has won sooo many medals! It's like, not fair!!! Especially in the one team swimming thing - jeez louise, the US was so far ahead that it wasn't very interesting to watch at all! And Phelps looked rather worried from the sidelines, despite the fact that there was hardly any way that we could lose... COME ON!!

Yeah. My two cents, buy some candy, why doncha?

08.15.2008, 12:46 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Raymus
Man Phelps is clearing out the gold medals. Also Kazahkstan (spelling?) has more medals then Canada. haha

So does Mongolia. And India (who famously do not care about the Olympics at all). And a bunch of other places.

Anyways, just wait till 2010...[/lame excuse]

Phelps is sweeping the medals...I admit I like watching his races

08.15.2008, 12:56 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Swimming isn't very much fun to watch, in my opinion, and it's less fun now that the question isn't who will win, but whether or not he'll break five-hundred world records in the process. Women's swimming is much more entertaining, but it's still just people going back and forth.

Gymnastics is where it's at for me. It's thrilling, scary, exhilirating, and just plain fun to watch.

08.15.2008, 01:07 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yup! ^.^ Gymnastics are the best!!!

I mean, it's amazing that people can even do all that stuff, yay!

08.15.2008, 01:20 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

mmm i like the gmynastics, swimming and the ping pong is epic,

australias population is only somthing like 20 - 21 million
and we're comming about 6th in medal tally

08.15.2008, 04:56 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
mmm i like the gmynastics, swimming and the ping pong is epic,

i have very little interest in sports but im still always proud to have something to brag about at times like this Australia is a very sport oriented country of course.. as well as our own leagues we do well in most international sports too.

08.15.2008, 05:08 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Yay Australia!

although... I'm not from Australia...

But ah well, I know people from Australia on the internet!! (Honestly, that's rather what I thought. I have a strange thought-process, proving that I spend a tad bit too much time on my computer. ah well, yay!)

08.15.2008, 06:18 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Am I the only one who thinks gymnastics is stupid? I give props to the competitors as I'll believe that it takes a lot of work and training, I wont doubt that, but I hate the fact that it is judged, so it doesnt matter how you think you did, its still in the hands of a group of people. The old stopwatch is much more reliable IMO. Im not a big fan of any of the judged sports, be it winter or summer. Figure skating, Diving, Gymnastics, etc. They all do nothing for me, but hats off to the competitors anyways.

The stories so far really are Phelps. I would hate to be trying to win a swimming medal. China and the States are going to be dogfighting for the total count at the end. Speaking of which, how about China? They do pour money into their sports, but they are just good at everything. Should be interesting.

Oh yeah, and Canada is just pathetic at the summer olympics. If it wasnt for rowing, we might not win anything at all. Although I like our odds at baseball, I think we are still looking at 5 medals at best.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.15.2008, 07:33 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yesterday morning, I discovered that I really enjoy watching gymnastics. Especially horse and parallel bars.

Have they started on table tennis yet? I'm not terribly interested in a lot of Olympic events, but I like to watch that. Um... I also quite like long jump and things. Judo is surprisingly boring, and doesn't make any sense to me.

And I quite like the fact that China appear to be beating everybody at everything, after all the problems they had leading up to the games.

08.15.2008, 08:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, haven't had a chance to watch much. I saw Mongolia winning the judo, which was great, they all got so happy. It's Mongolia's first gold isn't it?

My Anime List

08.15.2008, 11:26 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
Am I the only one who thinks gymnastics is stupid? I give props to the competitors as I'll believe that it takes a lot of work and training, I wont doubt that, but I hate the fact that it is judged, so it doesnt matter how you think you did, its still in the hands of a group of people.

How else are you supposed to do it? Seriously.
"I think I got a 15.9!" – "Okay! Brilliant"

I like watching gymnastics. It's the most incredible of all the disciplines. It looks otherworldly, the things they do. It's a lot of fun to watch.

I watch it a lot. During the day I basically only watch Olympics and Spongebob.
And Drake and Josh sometimes. Basically, I watch a lot of Olympics, and I'm looking forward to athletics starting today.
They're warming up for 100m sprint right qualifications right now. Wahey.

08.15.2008, 11:37 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Farren

Population doesn't really matter, it's how much money goes into the Olympics funding and how much attention is given to training them...realistically, every country has good athletes unless they have a population of a hundred.

quote:
And I quite like the fact that China appear to be beating everybody at everything, after all the problems they had leading up to the games.

You're speaking as if the problems were not partly their own fault.

08.15.2008, 12:31 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Yay! Kiki
Baron

You know, I recall hearing somewhere about all the new swimsuits - you know, how they go really far down the swimmer's legs, and then some of the guys where it over there chests too? Apparently it makes the swimmer's bodies sleeker or something, and the pool is very, very high tech. Wave free, or something. So anyway, I heard that the people winning may only have had the better technology, and you can't tell as well now who really had the most talent.

Yup.

Edit: Hey, do the commentators bother anybody else sometimes?

Like when someone does this amazing gymnastics stunt on the uneven bars, and like halfway through it, as she's still doing great, they say "Ooh! That's gonna cost her!" and you can't figure out what she did wrong?

Or just any time in particular when someone's doing amazing and they say that like "Oh! That toe wasn't pointed enough, that's gonna be a HUGE deduction from their score!" Yeah.

Post last edited by Yay! Kiki on 08.15.2008, 01:31 PM.

08.15.2008, 01:28 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
quote:

You're speaking as if the problems were not partly their own fault.

Am I? I didn't specify.

@JRR: Olympics and SpongeBob sounds like a good combination.

Oh, today I finally saw some table tennis! It was the women's team (not doubles, which is completely different) semi final, and Singapore beat South Korea. It was quite exciting.

08.15.2008, 05:35 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI
AUSSIE OI
AUSSIE OI
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI

08.15.2008, 05:41 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Men's swimming hasn't been that exiting since phelps has been on a gold metal streek. I'm looking forward to seeing some ping-pong and fencing though.

Check out my music:

08.15.2008, 07:00 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
Am I the only one who thinks gymnastics is stupid? I give props to the competitors as I'll believe that it takes a lot of work and training, I wont doubt that, but I hate the fact that it is judged, so it doesnt matter how you think you did, its still in the hands of a group of people.

How else are you supposed to do it? Seriously.
"I think I got a 15.9!" – "Okay! Brilliant"

My opinion personally on the situation would be to eliminate those sports from the competition. Now, im not hawking on their sportliness, but personally, if it has to be judged, it can be bent and corrupt. Look at when Canada got screwed from that figure skating medal a couple of winter olympics ago. It was some big scandal. Judging scandals dont exist if there are no judges. I think they would be great demonstration sports, but again, this is just me.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.15.2008, 07:02 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

quote:
Producers of the dazzling Olympic opening ceremony on August 8th acknowledged that an adorable nine-year-old girl in a red dress was miming her solo rather than singing, and that the actual singer had been removed at the last minute because of her round face and uneven teeth.

They also revealed that the impressive 29-step progression of firework “footprints” that on television appeared to lead across Beijing to the stadium was a computer-generated graphic.

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/disp...ory_id=11921189

Well that's kind of disappointing. I thought those footprints were pretty cool.

08.15.2008, 08:19 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks