QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you reading?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What are you reading? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, Twilight. Half the people I know are obsessed with it right now. ^^' I really wanna read it though. I think I'd enjoy it, being the fangirl I am. I'll see the film first though, I saw the trailer for it a night or two ago and it looks awesome.

My Anime List

11.15.2008, 02:57 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I will probably start Lion Among Men, the third of the Wicked series. I really enjoyed Wicked.

11.15.2008, 10:02 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Completed "Hojoki", a classic work of short Japanese literature. Highly recommended. It is the account of a Kamo no Chomei, as he witnesses several disasters befall the people of Kyoto. Beyond this, he also reflects on society, such as this passage:

quote:
Those who are powerful are filled with greed; and those who have no protectors are despised. Possessions bring many worries; in poverty there is sorrow. He who asks another's help becomes his slave; he who nurtures others is fettered by affection. He who does not, appears deranged. Wherever one may live, whatever work one may do, is it possible even for a moment to find a haven for the body or peace for the mind?

The story begins with this famous passage:

quote:
The flow of the river is ceaseless and its water is never the same. The bubbles that float in the pools, now vanishing, now forming, are not of long duration; so in the world are men and their dwellings.

Eventually he moves farther and farther into the mountains, ending up in a ten foot hut (The title is often translated as "The Ten Foot Hut" or "An Account of my Hut" ), becoming a recluse in the Buddhist tradition, with only Buddhist texts and other small pastimes to keep him company. The story strongly reminds me both in the words of the author and the general premise of a similar story from classical Indian (Buddhist) literature, but the name of that one escapes me.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.28.2008, 02:49 AM.

11.28.2008, 01:03 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought i'd ressurect this thread considering some of us may have got some new books for crimbo..

Half way through "Oath Breaker" from the series Chronicles of Ancient Darkness..its set in the bronze age, when all the people are still in clans and theres lots of mystery and superstition and the like..also it takes place in a humongous forest, which really appeals to me..

Next its The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas i think, im a bit nervous of starting this..

Clicky

12.30.2008, 11:22 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by turniphead1
Half way through "Oath Breaker" from the series Chronicles of Ancient Darkness..its set in the bronze age, when all the people are still in clans and theres lots of mystery and superstition and the like..also it takes place in a humongous forest, which really appeals to me..

I've still only read the first three books in that series. I want to continue with it, as I think the story is really good.

12.30.2008, 11:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

12.30.2008, 02:10 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"The Telling" by Ursula K. Le Guin... It is SO good!

12.30.2008, 02:39 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I started reading The Telling at one point. Unfortunately, I don't have it.

12.30.2008, 02:48 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
turniphead1
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
Originally posted by turniphead1

I've still only read the first three books in that series. I want to continue with it, as I think the story is really good.

Yay another fan! And you really should read the rest, although perhaps the fourth one isnt quite as good as the others. The fifth ones looking good, but someone i liked died in the first chapter ..still, makes it exciting

Clicky

12.30.2008, 04:15 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finishing up A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius which for my money is the best memoir ever written.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.30.2008, 07:27 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

bout to star fallow blade by Celia Dart Thornton.

01.01.2009, 06:47 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im not a big reader, but i got for one more day by Mitch Albom, and im giving it a shot

01.01.2009, 11:20 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
che ken
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.27.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by che ken Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Read 'His Dark Materials' recently (third time and still taking me to a brilliant world of imagery), also just finished the Lord of the Rings book and have just started reading Richard Hammonds auto biography

01.02.2009, 12:23 PM che ken is offline   Profile for che ken Add che ken to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Starting To Have and Have Not by Hemingway. One of the few of the of his I haven't read.

01.04.2009, 08:25 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

MISSING: Spirited Away, volume 1, Gakuto Coda (wanted it for over a year and I got it~ <3 I thank my best friend for ordering it in ^^ Mom wants to read it after. The simplistic writing style mixed with such an ineffably lovely storyline for 13 novels is truly interesting. I like simplistic, easy-to-follow-and-easily written novels. They don't take up too much time with imagery, and yet you can catch a glimpse at the characters more closely this way.)

xXxHOLiC : ANOTHERHOLiC, from Meggy. Wondering why portions of the later half of the book are censored out..

The Game, Diana Wynne Jones. Yes, I love her. And her writing style is also simplistic yet graceful. <3

Jack the Ripper, it's theory and facts. lol, this is almost as weird as the Japanese book I took out of the library that was written some time ago.. Still, interesting despite scaring my mom with it. ^^;

The House of Kanze. OMG, WHY IS THIS SO GOOD? At least I think so. And yes, the gay rape thing DOES scare me.

01.04.2009, 09:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@FFF

Oh, you're reading something by Dianna wynne Jones? I love her! She's one of my favorite authors. Is The Game any good?

01.04.2009, 10:22 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
@FFF

Oh, you're reading something by Dianna wynne Jones? I love her! She's one of my favorite authors. Is The Game any good?

I only read a couple pages. A single manhwa took me over a night to read. O_O; It wasn't even long, it was just the story and my admiration of who Geo was and why he's on the cover and the back when Elvis is the main character. I want the second one so I can learn more about what happened to him when Elvis was little and between his widowed mother. >.< It reminds me of a very interesting novel and though the author complains of her art style, it's perfect. *it was drawn back in the 90s and finally compiled after ten years) And when she says now the story isn't hers, I really believe it isn't..

The other books have been taking some time, I need to finish one to return to Meggy.. ^^;

01.05.2009, 06:21 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i am not far from finishing Norwegian Wood by Murakami and then it comes down to a decision between starting either another Murakami or Thompson's Kingdom of Fear.

Post last edited by T.C. on 01.08.2009, 07:19 AM.

01.08.2009, 07:18 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Go with Murakami.

I just read his "Kafka on the Shore" and it was something else. Not as good as "Wind-up Bird" but it was close.

01.08.2009, 01:16 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There's a book/comic in my library teaching you how to draw female anime characters... should I get it?

01.08.2009, 01:30 PM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks