QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you reading?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What are you reading? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh, Herman Hesse? I love his books!!

I was reading Peter Camenzinde, his first one I believe.. and then I lost it. That was sad, because I really want to finish it.. anyway, it really was a very good book. Yay!

11.13.2008, 01:04 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Realizing I might be shunned, but is Twilight worth reading??? I just haven't gotten around to it, and I work at a bookstore. We sell at least one of her books a day! So should I read Twilight?

11.13.2008, 01:40 AM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Twilight.. sure. Especially the first one, because it was really, really good. I'm not sure that it exactly deserves the amount of attention that it's gotten, which rather threw me off of reading it, but it really is rather good and is worth it. (although sometimes I feel all weirded out about the fact that the words that I am reading are very nearly worshipped by fangirls. Especially the scenes with Edward in them. xD)

11.13.2008, 02:41 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd like to offer a second opinion on Twilight, which I was only able to read for three chapters--upon which I gave up on the book and on humanity. I remain baffled by the book's extraordinary popularity.

The writing is completely unremarkable--not even remarkable enough to be bad. It's simply there. I searched the pages frantically for a unique or even a pleasant turn of phrase, but each sentence was bare, as if the author had purposely stripped her language clean of any authorial character. This would be fine if the story she was telling was involving, but after twenty pages an intriguing or sympathetic character still had yet to be developed. This is going to sound horrible, I know, but by page twenty-five I was really hoping someone would show up dead, or something would explode. Alas, my wish was never granted, and the narrator continued to drone on about how beautiful/mysterious/horrible/beautiful Edward was, as she had been doing for the past eight pages.

Maybe I should give the book another shot, but on my first try I simply could not find anything appealing about it.

11.13.2008, 12:41 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
....upon which I gave up on the book and on humanity....

Hahaha....

11.13.2008, 01:02 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think you'll need to try it again. It seems that it only appeals to its specific target audience:

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
fangirls.

11.13.2008, 01:12 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

But I'm not a fangirl! Well... not quite... not for Edward Cullen, that is. xD

@Orphic
Yes, the writing style really is rather unremarkable. I started to read the second one, and this rather threw me off... probably because recently I had been reading rather amazing books lately... and the main character does not really develope, you're right. But the plot line gets better later on... and there is a car crash somewhere in the beginning.. xD It was still a rather good book, in my opinion. xD

I haven't been reading enough lately. I started on the third book in the "Inheritance" trilogy by Christopher Paolini, but it seemed rather cliche... and the first chapter was disgusting. People were drinking blood... I suppose like vampires, but like, three times as terrible...

11.13.2008, 09:19 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, I read Twilight. It wasn't good or bad...just, I didn't like it all that much. And I definitely don't see why it's so popular. I felt like it was one of those books you're constantly told how you should feel for the characters but you don't actually feel much at all.

Oh and Bella was annoying...

I haven't tried her other books so I'm not sure if it gets any better...xD

I went to the university library today and oooers. So many books, such old, beautiful ones. Hehe, it was quite fun. I have a pile of those books and I will start reading them soon.

11.13.2008, 09:33 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been told to read it because I'm suppose to be like Bella. Apparently she is clumsy (?)...wouldn't know haven't read the book. And my friends say clumsy girls can attract cute guys! hehe.

Yes, I am clumsy. I have a lovely bruise on my leg from falling off a stool at work and hitting a bookcase. hehe.

11.13.2008, 09:57 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Oh my! Someone else that falls over ridiculously! I fall over desks. xD

11.13.2008, 11:06 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm currently reading True Talents by David Lubar. Orson Scott Card reveiwed it and he said it was good.

Check out my music:

11.13.2008, 11:28 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I started on the third book in the "Inheritance" trilogy by Christopher Paolini, but it seemed rather cliche...

I've never read those books... I just got the impression they were a bit cheesy. And they're long too, and I don't wanna read long cheesy books.

11.14.2008, 08:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Speaking of other books I began but quit almost immediately, I tried Eragon for a while back when it first came out. I thought it was godawful. Terrible writing (technically, at least), flat characters, cliched plot--every aspect of the book was a failure. I'm probably being too harsh, since it written by an eighteen-year-old--and I'm assuming that the series increases in quality as it continues as Paolini matures as a writer. But the first book pretty much put me off the series completely.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 11.14.2008, 12:05 PM.

11.14.2008, 12:03 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sometimes It's hard to find books that don't suck in this world.

Check out my music:

11.14.2008, 09:01 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, not really.

11.14.2008, 11:16 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Scared to Death by Alan Gibbons.

11.14.2008, 11:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i'm reading robin hobb's Fool's Fate

bout to start book one of a novel by ceilia dart thornton...looks ok brought the first two books.....
i'm like that.

11.15.2008, 12:06 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
I started on the third book in the "Inheritance" trilogy by Christopher Paolini, but it seemed rather cliche...

I've never read those books... I just got the impression they were a bit cheesy. And they're long too, and I don't wanna read long cheesy books.

I read the first two when I was ten. xD I loved that stuff when I was ten.

11.15.2008, 02:28 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm... i'm reading inkheart.... again for about the 20th time... It was my favorite book when I was like, 12.... wow that seems like it was a long time ago.. and its been about a year since i've read it last. Plus there's the movie coming out, which looks like its going to be pretty horrible. But my mother wants to see it because Brendan Fraser is in it. *she likes brendan fraser and its creepy....creeps me out*

About Twilight...
I really didnt like it that much. But I read the whole series except for breaking dawn becuse i read a few pages and skimmed through some of the middle chapters and it freaked me out. Like, really.
The girls in my english class are totally OBSESSED with it and it really creeps me out because they're like the super obsessive fangirls that would kill you if you said anything against their precious Edward.... So of course the only thing they talk about is the twilight series. And they reccomend it to boys on the basis that 'if you want to know how a girl thinks, read twilight'. But.... THAT'S CERTAINLY NOT HOW I THINK!! And i am a girl, of course.
Bella is really annoying, I think. She doesnt really make... rational decisions, i guess. And there's the long annoying passages about how handsome Edward is... ugh.

11.15.2008, 01:17 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol, I liked Twilight until people became obsessed. XD I mean, sure, I'm obsessive over the creepiest characters of all times and talk about them, but I'm never as obsessive as the girls and guys I've found with this series. o_O (seems about an even amount among both genders in the older grades XD I'll see the movie, but I really dislike who they chose to play Bella and Edward. They look nothing how I thought they would and the girl who does Bella just makes her sound... incredibly dull. XD)

Then the long length of the books annoyed me.. O_O I knew EVERYTHING in the last book before my friends, which is odd because I only read a bit of it and skimmed the rest.

I'm reading some fairy tales for a story. And I find a lot of today's novels boring, but it's hard to find any from the 60s to earlier times to buy. :/

11.15.2008, 02:46 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks