QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you reading?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What are you reading? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I forgot to mention this here: the other day I was given a heap of books to read for English. At the moment I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which belongs to my mum. That's also for English.

I think I read that. It's really good. Or... I read another book by him.
Currently reading:

Die Wahlverwandschaften, by Wolfgang Goethe

08.29.2008, 12:16 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished today a novel by Peter Temple titled "The Broken Shore"

Kinda interesting and difficult both. One, the storyline is about an Australian cop.
Two, it is written entirely in Aussie vernacular which was rather hard to follow at first. Once I got the gist of the wording, it was easier reading... What helped was a short Aussie/English dictionary at the back of the book...

example...
bickie = cookie

Bluey = hard wearing work jacket
(also mentioned in the Australian version of "I've Been Everywhere" song found on youtube...)

footy = football, usually Aussie Football...

the book made me think of all my Australian mates in the Tavern ...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.04.2008, 02:23 AM.

09.04.2008, 02:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Eye-see
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.25.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Eye-see Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am reading one of the Chicken Soup series.

The chicken soup for College Souls. Some stories in there made me cried...

09.05.2008, 06:27 AM Eye-see is offline   Profile for Eye-see Add Eye-see to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

finished another mystery last night... Kinda weird, coincidence like... Much of the same torture theme as the previous book I read yet I had no idea beforehand.

One was set in Australia and the other in Los Angeles, Calif.

Now I'm reading another mystery, "Puzzled to Death" by Parnell Hall... Kind of a modern day Miss Marple/Agatha Christie tale set in New Hampshire where crosswords puzzles come into the scene in some way. Haven't figured how as yet...

edit: spelling corrections

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.06.2008, 10:43 PM.

09.06.2008, 10:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson, which seems to be recommended by loads of people who like to compare it to George R R Martins "A song of Ice and Fire" series. Not to say they are the same but it is similarly epic - spanning ten books (eight of which have been released so far). I was hesitant to start another multi-book series but he seems to write them a LOT faster than GRRM so I figured what the hell.

It's ok so far but I find it hard to get enthused by fantasy literature any more (which is strange as I've been trying to write a fantasy novel on and off for the past sixteen years or so).

Before this book I read "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It was a good book, nice characterisation and an interesting story. I'm not sure I would rate it as highly as the bestseller lists or many critics seem to but I enjoyed it.

09.07.2008, 07:42 AM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
itimnabolo
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.08.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by itimnabolo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Habit Of Shores: An Anthology by Gemino H Abad - this is a large bulk of tree, full of thoughts in thought forms, what i mean to say is it is a book of poetry that traces Filipino poetry for the past few years...

feeling writer, chillax lang, enjoy

pabz

09.08.2008, 11:43 AM itimnabolo is offline   Profile for itimnabolo Add itimnabolo to your buddy list Send an Email to itimnabolo
husky51
The Old Guy

Reading "Citizen Warrior" by Stephen M. Duncan...

Believe it or not, a former shipmate of mine from Vietnam. He went on to become an Assistant Secretary under the Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney. Cheney is now the V Pres of the US. Steve was even listed in the book "Who'o Who in America"... I will probably be seeing him next year at a ship's reunion. At least he has sent an email saying that he would be there..

09.14.2008, 02:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Earlier today I finished reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. I've been doing it for English. It's quite confusing and I wasn't always sure what was happening, but towards the end it was easier to read, which is good because that was the best part.

And now I need to find out what I'll be reading next...

11.11.2008, 12:29 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine (sp?) Le Engle. Yay!!

11.11.2008, 06:07 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im reading and trying to edit my poli sci essay. Not working too well, but progress is getting made.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.11.2008, 06:21 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

I've read 4 books since last Wednesday...

currently reading "The Darwin Awards Next Evolution by Wendy Northcutt.

gives some examples of amazingly stupid things that some ppl have done, mostly resulting in their own death, thus cleansing the gene pool, as they say in the book.

One quick example is the guy who decided that instead of using the hedge clippers to trim his shubbery, he would use the gas lawnmower... Everything was moving along well until, because of the weight tiring out his arms, he shifted his grip on the mower. yep, ended up in the hospital get his fingertips repaired... He lived..

Oh yeah, a footnote to this story. Shortly after the first guy went to the hospital his neighbor arrived as well.. same thing. He saw the first guy mowing his bushes and thought, "What a neat idea"...

In this case, both men survived and are currently contributing to the gene pool... hopefully, not too much!

Or the two guys in Denmark who drove onto the ice and sank the car in shallow water... so they got the another car to pull it out, driving also onto the ice, 2 cars now in the water, so they got a farm tractor, etc, same thing. ..

Not the brightest bulbs in the pack...

Oh, and there are plenty of women in the book as well...

11.12.2008, 03:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am reading a book called Why We Get Sick by Nesse and Williams. It's interesting, evolutionary medicine and all...the only book that I have to read this semester that I'm enjoying. ^_^

11.12.2008, 04:11 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley now.

11.12.2008, 12:28 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time', honestly the weirdest book ive ever read, but still enjoyed it because it was so different.. its about a boy with aspegers syndrome (i think) who writes a book about him investigating the murder of his next door neighbours dog.. thats really as far as i can go without ruining the plot.

Clicky

11.12.2008, 01:16 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

That's a great book!

11.12.2008, 02:15 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Siddartha , Hermann Hesse

11.12.2008, 02:39 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you like Siddhartha, you should check out Steppenwolf by the same author. It's one of my favorite books--or, at least, one of the most interesting reading experiences I've had in my life. The eastern influence is not as apparent as it is in Siddhartha, but it's still a very Buddhist book, with a lot of interesting religious ideas.

Currently, I'm reading The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. It's my first experience with Coelho, and contrary to what I've heard about him, I didn't find the book particularly easy to get into. Not that it's difficult reading; he just has an unusual style that's taken a while to grow accustomed to.

11.12.2008, 04:20 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

ORPHIC QUOTE:

"I didn't find the book particularly easy to get into"

I felt the same way with James A. Micheners "The Source".

Very hard to understand, I won't go into details as it would give things away, but a good ways into the book, it suddenly became clearer, and thusly, more enjoyable. It was probably the longest book that I have ever read and once I figured it out, very good.

I didn't read it for school, just as something of Micheners to read and was also intrigued by the sheer size of the thing, over 1000 pages in paperback.

I tried to read Siddartha long ago, but got lost and never finished it for some reason. May try again...

11.12.2008, 09:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading Love Warps the Mind A Little...it is great. By John Dufresne. I just finished his newest novel: Requiem, Mass. Highly recommend it!

Next on the list: Then She Found Me.

11.12.2008, 09:30 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
If you like Siddhartha, you should check out Steppenwolf by the same author. It's one of my favorite books--or, at least, one of the most interesting reading experiences I've had in my life.

I initially read "Siddartha" out of curiosity more than anything (A book about Indian philosophies written by a German). Hesse appears to be a very interesting person, actually I'd love to read a biography on him. Anyways, I'll check out your recommendation.

11.13.2008, 12:05 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks