QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are your favourite quotes?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What are your favourite quotes? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
What are your favourite quotes?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought this'd be a fun, and interesting, idea for a thread...what are your favourite quotes, sayings, song lyrics, pieces of poetry, etc?

Everyone has a few lines from something tucked away in their heads that they think are fabulous!! So what are yours??

Personally, my motto, and favourite lines ever, come from a comic book character called Wobbley Headed Bob, who appears in the Squee comics, and that is...

'I am the enlightened dispenser of truth. Hear me and evolve.'

I also love these lines from the poem 'Ozymandias' by Percy Bysshe Shelley...

'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings,
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

And finally, these incredible lines from Macbeth by the ultimately awesome William Shakespeare...

"Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow,
a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage
and then is heard no more:
it is a tale told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury,
signifying nothing." (Act V, Scene V).

I also love the lyrics from Panic! At The Disco's song, 'London Beckoned Songs About Money Written by Machines'It Yet' (how can you NOT love a song that has a title THAT ridiculous?)...

"Just for the record,
The weather today is
Slightly sarcastic with a good chance of
A. Indifference or
B. Disinterest
In what the critics say."

So, what does everyone else have to say? (^-^)

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 05.09.2008, 10:30 AM.

05.09.2008, 10:27 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, now here is an ancient (no offense ) member of the fourm. Hows it going SpiritedSen? Long time no see.

One of my favourite quotes as of now is the name of an album by EitS: `Those who tell the truth shall die, those who tell the truth shall live forever`

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.09.2008, 11:17 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all."

From a speech by Theodore Roosevelt in 1915 and it still holds true today...

(The following are my words)

I may refer to myself as a Canadian born American, but I am not a Canadian-American because that denotes an allegience to two countries at the same time... I love Canada, but I am no longer a Canadian citizen and I think that that is where the distinction lies...

05.09.2008, 11:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I’m rather fond of what Winston Churchill said to Parliament after the victory at the battle of El Alamein in 1942:

“This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.09.2008, 11:35 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
Wow, now here is an ancient (no offense ) member of the fourm. Hows it going SpiritedSen? Long time no see.

Howdy Miyyru, yeh it has been forever, but it's real good to be back! The place hasn't changed at all, and it's good to see so many names I remember still flying the Ghibli flag! (^-^) It's good to be home, lol!!

05.09.2008, 11:57 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

SpiritedSen,
I never knew,
Back again,
From whence she flew.

Here for now,
Welcome back,
Post for us,
Take up the slack.

Newbie I,
Wasn't here,
Raise the glass
And have a beer!

Good to see you, Spirit, I seem to be the oldest active member, but I'm here because of my love of Ghibli, which is how I found the Tavern...

Good topic, BTW...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.09.2008, 12:25 PM.

05.09.2008, 12:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay... some favorites!

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.” Edgar Allen Poe- I absolutely love this one! Probably because I spend too much time day dreaming, but never mind!

"When a person truly desires something, all the Universe conspires to help that person realize his dream"- Paolo Coelho. This one sounds a tad bit like one of those things that people who want to get rich say, but it really has absolutely nothing to do with that, so yeah!

OK, fine, I rather like the dreamy quotes, probably because that's where I spend all of my time. But that's okay... just don't take after my friend and start calling me a space cadet!

05.09.2008, 02:08 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Tsuko
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.29.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tsuko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born.
Every Morn & every Night
Some are Born to sweet Delight.
Some are Born to sweet Delight,
Some are born to Endless Night.

My favorite lines from William Blake's '' Auguries Of Innocence''. I probably like them because they were used in Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

--------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

05.09.2008, 02:22 PM Tsuko is offline   Profile for Tsuko Add Tsuko to your buddy list Send an Email to Tsuko
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gigantic_red_bow {Kiki}
OK, fine, I rather like the dreamy quotes, probably because that's where I spend all of my time. But that's okay... just don't take after my friend and start calling me a space cadet!

But there's nothing wrong with being a space cadet!

05.09.2008, 04:33 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

people always tell me that I'm off in my own world or something. ah well, my world is better!

Post last edited by Yay! Kiki on 05.09.2008, 05:11 PM.

05.09.2008, 05:10 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm my favourite qoutes

1.) "pigeons funk the impossible" ) < copyright Farren

2.)"i just don't know what to make of it"

3.) "What do you expect ...and from a monkey"

4.) "to knock on my door means certain peril to all"
^ copyright Farren.

5.) "Don't push your luck"

6.) "What is that bizzare apiration"

7.) "you rude little ruffian"

8.) "FIRE BALL..YAR YAR ehhhh ..YAR

I have heaps more too

05.10.2008, 03:54 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my fave quotes.

1. so long and thanks for all the fish.
2. ni!
3.yaynation (copyright harms)
5. why is there underwear hanging from the school flagpole? (copywrite harms)
4. theres no homework if i says theres no homework! (also copyright)
5. i just had the strangest urge to kill kanda
well, thats all i can think of right now.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

05.10.2008, 04:28 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've always liked this one:

"Like flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport."

It never fails to cheer me up.

05.10.2008, 12:16 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"I know, darling, I know." -Edna, The Incredibles

And if you want to include personal ones, there's my answer to everything: Don't know, don't care.

Also known as the DKDC philosophy

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.10.2008, 11:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my fave kanda quotes.

1. che'.
2. I don't shake hands with cursed people.
3. If you fall behind, i wont go back to save you. sacrifices must be made in war.
4. hey you, baka usagi.

and heres the greatest one ever...

5.you must have alot of guts. Draw your sword! I'll teach you who has the slower reaction! I'll slice off every single bit of white hair from your head and sell them to old men!

05.11.2008, 12:23 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by harmony-of-mar
my fave quotes.

1. so long and thanks for all the fish.
2. ni!
3.yaynation (copyright harms)
5. why is there underwear hanging from the school flagpole? (copywrite harms)
4. theres no homework if i says theres no homework! (also copyright)
5. i just had the strangest urge to kill kanda
well, thats all i can think of right now.

hahaha, I recognize the first quote... lol

The're still hanging underwear from the flagpoles? Man, we, I mean, I heard about that being done when I was a kid...

I like the one I mentioned once before about;

Big fleas have little fleas,
Upon their backs to bite'm.
And little fleas have lesser fleas
And so, ad infinitum!

EDit: 1872 A. De morgan, Budget of Paradoxes (hads to look it up)

And speaking of Spacey Cadets...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.11.2008, 10:57 PM.

05.11.2008, 10:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

this quote is a bit rude , but get used to it .
i like this quote a lot

"don't play stupid with me wanker"

05.11.2008, 10:57 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

lol.

"ALWAYS know where your towel is."

05.11.2008, 11:43 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
husky51
The Old Guy

And if you've lmisplaced your towel you have three choices...

1. Say something clever and distracting...

2. Act nonchalant as you turn and walk away...

or 3. Grab everything that moves and RUN LIKE HELL...!

hahaha, reminds me of another quote...

When in fear,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout...

ukn

variations...

When in danger, when in doubt..,etc.
When in trouble, when in doubt..., etc.

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.12.2008, 12:49 AM.

05.12.2008, 12:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
And if you've lmisplaced your towel you have three choices...

1. Say something clever and distracting...

2. Act nonchalant as you turn and walk away...

or 3. Grab everything that moves and RUN LIKE HELL...!

hahaha, reminds me of another quote...

When in fear,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout...

ukn

variations...

When in danger, when in doubt..,etc.
When in trouble, when in doubt..., etc.

That little poem is hilarious! Here's a Demetri Martin quote:

I feel like my washing machine is sneaky. I put clothes in there and detergent and I hear all this noise and this turning around then I open the lid to see what's going on and it's like, '...What man we're just hanging out in here. There's nothing happening, don't worry about it. I'm a washing machine, not a Show you how I do it machine.'

05.12.2008, 12:21 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks